Rules Disappearing

rsagall

Periodically all the rules I have established just disappear! The rules page becomes a blank. This happens with no warning and I have no indication this has happened until I run the software and see that no messages are being filtered.

Any idea why this happens and how prevent it?

Rich

rsagall

This happens when I am not making any changes to the rules. I notice that no filtering is occurring and then check the rules - and all are gone.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, but can you see them from the preference panel? By the way which version are you using? which operating system?

rsagall

eMail Bounce Handler 3.4.5 - US
Leopard 10.5.2

I haven't checked the preferences when this happens. I will next time.

MMMikey

I have just had this problem today for the first time. No rules were edited. They are all still there in the Preferences pane, but they don't show up under the Rules tab and are no bounces are processed even though they are present in my return inbox.

Bounce Hander v. 3.5.2
OS X 10.5.6

Any thoughts?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I recommend you to download Onyx. It is a tool that can help you fix problems on your system. Go to the 'Automation' panel, select all the options and click on the 'Execute' button. Then restart your computer and check if your problem has been fixed.

If your problem has not been fixed you will have to run the tasks manually. Note that you will be asked to reboot after each task. There is no need to do that, just reboot once you have run all the tasks.

Maintenance panel
- Run the permissions reparation from the first sub-panel by clicking on 'Execute'.
- Select the 'Daily', 'Weekly' and 'Monthly' scripts from the 'Scripts' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button.
- Select 'LaunchServices' and 'dyld's from the 'Rebuild' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button. (You can also select to rebuild the Spotlight Index).

Cleaning panel
- Check everything from the 'System' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button.
- Check everything from the 'User' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button.
- Check 'Browser Cache' and 'Download Cache' from the 'Internet' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button.
- Check 'System and Users' from the 'Fonts' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button.
- Check everything from the 'Logs' sub-panel *BUT* 'Conversations log of instant messaging' and click on the 'Execute' button.
- Check 'Recent Items', 'Obsolete items' and 'Previous 'iTunes Libraries' from the 'Misc' sub-panel and click on the 'Execute' button.

MMMikey

Before I forget: Thanks (as always) for your help, Stan.

That said, all of these steps have been done in Onyx - no change.

Bounce Handler was last run on Monday or Tuesday of this week and the rules worked properly. There were no installations or changes to the system config in the meantime.

MMMikey

Yes - as mentioned above, all default rules show up in Preferences, but not under the Rules tab.

I have archived that particular Bounce Handler file, opened an older one and deleted all of its bounces to create a clean working file with all of the default and custom rules intact. The problem was localized to that particular file. This doesn't tell us anything about why it happened, but at least I have a working file again.

Thanks for your help. If you need any other info about that problem instance please let me know.

mburgoon

Same Issue

I am experiencing the same issue. Seems to happen all the time now. Again I have rules in the preferences window... but none in the Rules tab. I have never modified the ruleset.

If I create a new database, the rules tab is populated. However if I have to start with a new database every week or so... I'll need to look for a more reliable product.

FYI, I am using the latest version on Windows XP.

mburgoon

I understand the need for a step-by-step procedure so that you can repeat the scenario, unfortunately I do not have one.

Basically just opened the .bem file and all the rules in the "rules tab" (in the main window) were gone. If it helps, they we also gone from the rules tab in the Preferences window. I loaded the "Factory Defaults" to repopulate the Preferences window, however this did not repopulate the "rules tab" in the main window.

It would help if there was a "Factory Defaults" button in the main window, or if the "Factory Defaults" button populated both the Preferences screen and the main window.

jonathan_ep

I am also experiencing this issue as described by the person earlier. It does not affect new file creation but only saved files.

It means I have to check each time and then manually re-enter them.

I agree that there should be a factory default button for restoring them or a button to re-update the rules from your preferences.

Or even a rules importer from a csv file or something.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
When you are in the 'Rules' panel, right-click your mouse in the list, you will get a contextual menu with a 'Restore Defaults' entry. Select it and all default rules will be reloaded to the document.