Not snappy anymore

didier

V7 has some great improvements, but I am disappointed about the massive loss of speed while switching between most of the windows (using Mac version).

The contextual menu to assign projects (add to project) has become unbearably slow when you have dozen of selections to do in a session.... I tried to optimize my database with no better result.

Any hope to regain the lost speed in the future ?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried to restart your computer? iCash v7 has been built with the same compiler. There is no reason for being slower.

didier

Restarted the computer, same problem. Using a latest (and same) MacBook Pro. Am I the only one with this behavior ?

Quite a few projects (77), but same number as before upgrading from v6 (that was then working very fine).

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I handle the forum and the support and so far I haven't heard of such problem. We used the same exact compiler and the application interface is the same. Try to reset the preferences.

didier

I did reset the preferences, then trashed the .plist file, reinstalled the whole package. No difference at any stage. It is annoying but I guess I will have to live with it...

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried to install the iCash on another account on your computer? It is just to see if it makes any difference.

didier

Hi again. Tried under another user name, with another Mac and with another PC computer. Same results, about 2 to 3 sec to get the list from "add to project" option on a fast machine, up to 5 sec on a very slow one.

Since I am the only one experiencing this problem, my file must be corrupted from the conversion 6 to 7.

I sent it to you with ticket #18434. Please have a look.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see any corruption, however I have rebuilt all indexes, run all tools and also used the recovery function. I sent you the document back so you can test if it works any better, please let me know.

didier

No, it doesn't help. From my file: how long does it take on your computer to assign a project with the right click menu ? it was almost instantaneous on v6, now it is longer (about 2-3 sec) which is a drag when you want to work on a long list of items, but nothing impossible to deal with.

It is a little sad to loose the "super quick feel" that was there so far on all previous versions.

Thanks for your active support!

didier

From any Query for example, try on my file: "Bank in process". Take any of the 5 lines shown, right click and try to assign another project.

Right click shows "Add to project..."
Left click to confirm
-> 2-3 sec delay
The pop-up list appears and you can then change the selection without problem.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
You mean from the 'Transaction' panel, right? You select a transaction, right click and select "Add to project...". Am I correct?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I have found the problem and I fixed it. Now it is as fast as usual. The problem was a non-optimized SQL query.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I fixed the problem and re-uploaded iCash right away. That was almost one month ago.

didier

I did re-download the installer a week ago, but if there is any improvement, it seems barely noticeable.

The software is still useable, but clearly slower than any of the previous versions.

For example apart from my previous (still valid comments) a switch from Queries to Transactions panes is way slower. The opposite (switch from Transactions to Queries) remains still fast.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure, you are using the very last download? I got dozens of confirmations through our help desk system confirming the fix, including by the people that initially reported it.

didier

I just downloaded again and carefully replaced the original (now iCash software created Thursday 16 December 2010 12:35 AM)

I started from there and opened my file. Same result.

Could you check this version with my file I sent previously ? Maybe there is still a tiny bug somewhere...

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried to reindex your document? I don't think there is a bug since nobody else have reported it. The only bug I introduced was fixed.