Import from a remote database brings up 1 item

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I am the developer of MaxBulk Mailer and right now there are no plans to modify that import Window. Furthermore MaxBulk Mailer only has 20 custom columns, we will not increase that number anytime soon. We should have demand for that first but we haven't at all.

ilektro

Pity :(

I will need to find another program then. I'm even considering a switch to Windows for this as all (even the cheapest) mail programs that offer database connection, can have as much columns as I want and keep the name of the table column

I will continue to search for another day to see if I can find a workaround with your program. Alternatively, can you confirm how to arrange a refund?

ilektro

I can always see if we are able to pay extra if you would develop it in the shortest delay. Surely people who run more than 1 maillist or people who put lots of personalized info (more than 20) in an html mail, would be interested.

My proposal would be to have different tag profiles in the preferences (Tags) with as much fields as one wants. Those can then be called up when on the Import Database screen on the below part "Fields"

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
In order to add more columns I should rewrite at least a 40% of the program. This is an extremely complex work to do. Why do you need that much columns?

ilektro

I run different maillists with each their own columnnames in the databases (see my examples of queries above) so for one maillist I need to import for example 15 columns with 15 names, for another one I need 25 columns with 25 different names (apart from "mail" "firstname" etc), and a last one with 10 columns with 10 different names. Add them up : 15 + 25 + 10 = 50.

The other programs I used (mentioned above) didn't work in the same way as your program but I can live with that as I really like the other features of the program. The other programs imported the queries and put the "fieldnames" automatically as the names of the columns in the database. That is easy as then I could use the column names in the html mail eg <#[TITLE]#> <#[FIRSTNAME]#> <#[LASTNAME]#>

And indeed, I need up to 25 already for 1 maillist as we repeat eg address info, subscription info etc in the newsletter.

ilektro

Can you give more details (eg delivery time?) as currently I cannot send newsletters with the info I should put in them. I have negotiated to drop that info in newsletters temporarily but it becomes increasingly difficult to defend this.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I am finishing version 8 so you will have to wait some months. All I can do is to rename the fields with the query column names. I will not add more columns.

ilektro

thanks !
your proposal sounds good. at least I can do most of the newsletters that have not got > 20 fields.
if you need any suggestions for the development, let me know, I have been working with many tools and might have an idea or two :)

ilektro

maybe you have an update on this?
luckily I got my other tools working again but your tool is better (apart from the nbr of fields thing) so I would like to switch all newsletters on to 1 tool
thanks!

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
v8 will be released next week however I had no time to work on renaming the fields depending on the query columns. I am really interested in doing it so please post a reminder here in a couple of weeks.

ilektro

didn't see your message and downloaded the new version (8) before

nearly thought it was in already
[Upg] The Import Window now allows the user to rename the columns/tags using the file first line.

but I don't think it is, so this is a gentle reminder

ilektro

Indeed, so I hope to hear from you soon for an "automatic" update of the "Record from selected file" from a database import equalling a Target Field :)

In the meantime I use your tool for 1 company only and borrow a Windows PC to continue running my old tools

ilektro

the issue with importing from a database seems solved yet do you have an idea if you will build a way to make the "target field" automatically equal the "record from selected file" to be able to deal with more than 1 table (containing > 15 target fields) as is already possible for txt files (using first line)?

ilektro

spoke to soon about the data issues when importing data via mysql, it looked good at upload yet after the sending, the screen shows again that columns no longer correspond and that the word "Send" is put in the column "login". please check printscreen.

difficult to know how those people received their mail.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure you column doesn't include special characters? It is weird since the status word 'Sent' in added to column 25, an invisible column :-/

ilektro

I didn't get a reply to my last mail concerning the mySQL problem with tabs, so I put a reminder here.

Next to that I would like to know if it will be possible to import from a database with the fields keeping (automatically) the same name as the column name in the table? This is the only way to use your program with more than 1 maillist as now I'm limited to 20 fields and that is enough for 1 maillist but not more and run over 10 different maillists.

As I had the impression with this explanation it was still not clear, here is an example:

MAIILIST CUSTOMER 1, TABLE "customers" COLUMNS :
- firstn
- lastn
- custnbr
- shipcost
- fld1
- fld2
- fld3
- fld4

MAIILIST CUSTOMER 2, TABLE "fans" COLUMNS :
- company
- street
- housenbr
- postalcode
- city
- state
- country
- fld1
- fld2
- fld3

ETC ETC (AT LEAST 10 LISTS)

All html files have been made with the field names as in the tables, so if you want to merge html files with fields, then it currently is possible in any Mac program, while ALL Windows programs automatically take the column name as field name so that merging is easy.

Unfortunately for me this has now become even more urgent as the program on Windows I use that does that perfectly (Kristianix) needs Paralllels and for that - only for that - I need an update as I now have OSX 10.6.

Hope you're able to help