Dropped Connections

ahazell

Hi,

I purchased and began using your original PowerPC Email Bounce Handler about five or six years ago and it has worked perfectly. However, I've upgraded to a new MacBook and it OSX Lion no longer runs PowerPC software. So, I've downloaded the latest version of Email Bounce Handler. I can't find my serial number from my last version, but that's another story - I want to see if I can get it to work before purchasing another license. For the moment, I can't get it to work.

Here's the problem: despite the fact that I've set up the information correctly for the email server, username and password, I get dropped connections straight after the programme gets the list of messages. So, it's connecting ok, gets the number of messages available and then drops the connection. Here's the log:

11/18 18:21:22 ~ Status: Connecting to myserverinfo (POP3) Port: 995 Security: SSL v2/3
11/18 18:21:22 > USER myuserinformation
11/18 18:21:23 +OK POP3 [172.16.28.122] 2010.104 server ready
11/18 18:21:23 > PASS ******
11/18 18:21:23 +OK User name accepted, password please
11/18 18:21:23 > STAT
11/18 18:21:23 +OK Mailbox open, 3338 messages
11/18 18:21:23 ~ Status: Mailbox pointer = 1
11/18 18:21:23 > STAT
11/18 18:21:23 +OK 3338 208010371
11/18 18:21:23 ~ Status: Mailbox pointer = 1
11/18 18:21:23 > LIST 1
11/18 18:21:23 +OK 3338 208010371
11/18 18:21:23 > RETR 1
11/18 18:21:24 ~ Status: 102 Connection dropped. - Stage: 05
11/18 18:21:24 ~ Status: Connecting to myserverinfo (POP3) Port: 995 Security: SSL v2/3

Now, I've gone back to the old computer and checked the settings and they are identical. I set it off running on the old computer and it's working perfectly. So, there are no differences in setup. Both are using my wifi network. I've even tried it with a network cable connection from my MacBook to the router - same issue.

I thought I'd post here in the hope that you might have some idea what could be wrong, before giving up.

Thanks for your help.

Alastair

ahazell

Hi Stan,

No, I'm using Luxsci.

The old PowerPC version works fine (with the same settings) on my old iMac.

Thanks

Alastair

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
What version were you using? Are you 100% sure the settings are the same? And same preferences?

ahazell

I don't have the version number to hand, unfortunately. All I know is that it was the old version that ran under PowerPC.

Yes, I am certain the same details are set (SSL, etc). The username and password both log me in fine, it seems to drop the connection after it's told me how many messages there are. It then repeats the process - logs in, tells me how many messages, drops connection.

Thanks

Alastair

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
A big maintenance of eMail Bounce Handler is scheduled. Perhaps it will fix your problems.

Sherlock

Hello,

I have the same problem described by Alastair. I'm using Gmail.

Thanks for your time,

S.

2/20 20:30:07 ~ Status: 102 Connection dropped. - Stage: 05

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Avoid using Gmail. Use your ISP or web hosting email account instead. Gmail is along with Hotmail the worst email service you can use for bulk email tasks. Free services like those are just to send and receive emails from friends and family, not much more.

ahazell

Just to update on my issues. I tried the new version you released and got the same problem. So, although I really want to buy and use your product I'm afraid I can't get it to work.

Sherlock

Thank you for your answer.
I will trie with those email services.
But I have to say I haven't been able to make work the programm with the import of a text file.
Please excuse any mistake in my english.

Thanks,

S.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean with importing a text file? A text file that contains bounce raw sources?

Sherlock

Yes, eMail Bounce Handler is supposed to extract bounce email addresses from plain text files and from the Clipboard. I have tried each type of extraction and it didn't work.

Thanks.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes indeed as long as the text file or the clipboard contains the raw sources of the bounce with full headers.

Sherlock

This is an example of the information I have used:

"Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

XXXXXX (mail adress)

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 User unknown (state 14)".

I get no result.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
An email is made of headers and a message. Most (if not all) mail readers let you see those headers. What email software do you use?