What SMTP do you recommend?

emailman11

In conclusion...

the best bet is to send steady slow flow of emails through your website host?
I hear from you this is the answer. the silver bullet?

emailman11

I verified with my host that I can send emails through their smtp but then I found out that port 25 is blocked by my ISP.
Any way around this?
Thanks

DavidB

stanbusk said:
If you have a web site you can also use the SMTP server you get for free. This is by far the best solution.

I have a company domain, but since I connect to the Internet via a Comcast cable modem and send e-mail via a Comcast SMTP server, I am unsure how to use the domain SMTP server. Could you explain a little?

I would use Comcast but I have a residential/home-office business account, and I don't know if they will allow sending as many messages as I need to (about 300).

Thank you,

David

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to ask the hosting company you are using. They will give you the SMTP address, user ID and password.

About Comcast try to use one single connection, a group of 20 and an interval of 1 minute.

DavidB

stanbusk said:
You will have to ask the hosting company you are using. They will give you the SMTP address, user ID and password.

About Comcast try to use one single connection, a group of 20 and an interval of 1 minute.

I am having trouble using the SMTP settings given to me by my hosting company (StartLogic), who is now "investigating" the matter.

In the meantime I called Comcast, who said they have a 1,000 per day limit for my type of account, so I am going to try using their SMTP server.

I asked Comcast about a per-minute or per-hour limit, but they said there was none. Is there another reason for the group of 20 at 1-minute intervals?

Also, what is the advantage of using my hosting company's SMTP server?

David

mhedges

I saw on here that some domains allow 500 e-mails an hour.

I have been struggling to find something that good. G-mail is only 500 a day, and Godaddy.com is only 250 a day. ANYTHING will do, since I can tamper with the sender information to make it have my name as the sender.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt

prairiefire

Go Daddy

Here's what I understand about GoDaddy (I may not be perfectly accurate but I'm close. I'm still trying to work the kinks out of using them for a list of 11,000 people)

You get 250 relays/day for each email account you've set up.

And, you can get around 100 email accounts per domain.

So, theoretically, you can do 25,000 mailings per day in BATCH mode.

I just got off the phone with them because one of my mailings quit, last night. Seems that they reset their servers at around midnight and it stopped MBM.

They suggested I buy a "server" package from them.

I'm not sure what this means.

Stan, you mention elsewhere that on a Mac, which I use, one can set it up as a mail server. How does that apply to what I'm doing and will it improve it?

Here's my set up: ISP/(Earthlink throughComcast>/DomainHostGoDaddy>My mail accounts.

As best I can tell, Comcast has caused me no problems.

Will making my Mac the "server" improve anything in this chain?

Thanks.

Steve

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
By running your own server you will get much more bounces since many servers will not accept messages sent that way. In other words, they detect who you are and they decide you are not authorized to use your own server. It is explained here: Using your own SMTP server, advantages and drawbacks.

The best way to go is still to purchase a web package and to use the SMTP server that comes with it for free.