What is a "frequency serial number"?

Gosell

When I run the spam check, it says "Subject does not contain a frequency serial number."

What's that? And how would I get one?

Thanks,

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
It is the number of the newsletter, for example '1' or '#1' or '#1-2006'. Spam filters use to include rules to check the message subject for such strings so it is good to number your newsletters.

gotdigital

How to add a frequency serial number?

If have attempted to add a frequency serial number to the subject field using [], however the spam checker is not seeing it. Please help.

Gosell

I've been putting a meaningless serial number on my subject lines since my original question, but it is hard to tell if it has made much of a difference.

One of my clients' server/isps has been inserting a [SPAM] tag into the subject line of my emails. It still happened with just the serial number, it still happened when I added a date, but it stopped when it put a [NEWS] header in front of the subject. Exact subject line follows.

[News] Atlantic Technology Corners Subwoofer Market -- Mar. 27, 2006 -- 80343

I can't say if it was more or less successful than other mailings.

In another mailing used Excel to generate sequential serial numbers for each address using [opt1] in the subject line. I usually sort and edit my lists in Excel, so this was relatively easy to do.

Canton Home Theater Lifestyle Photos available for Editorial Use - Mar. 28- [Opt1]

This wasn't a formal press release, so I didn't use the [NEWS] tag, and I can't really tell how successful this was.

Is there an official list of recognized tags (I've looked and can't find one), or is a tag anything inside brackets?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
With frquency number I mean:

[News] Atlantic Technology Corners Subwoofer Market bulletin #1 -- Mar. 27, 2006

next:

[News] Atlantic Technology Corners Subwoofer Market bulletin #2 -- Apr. 27, 2006

and so on... I don't understand what 80343 is. I guess you haven't written your 80343rd bulletin don't you?

You can also read the following page.

Gosell

The 80343 is just a made-up official-sounding number. It has no meaning other than to beat the system. I send out occasional press releases for different clients. There is no sequence, so a real volume- or Issue number is irrelevant.

I look at all the mail coming into this office, and I almost never see [NEWS] or [PR] tags. Do these really make any difference?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it makes a difference. Actually you will get more chances to get your message delivered placing [PR] or [NEWS] on the subject. This is true today.

gotdigital

frequency serial number

That did the trick. Adding the frequency number at the very end of the subject line. Thank you.