using special email address for bounces

dstar1

Stan can you please tell me what the best way of managing bounces is with your tool?

i have set up a separate email account for the bounces to go to

now this email address has to be the From address yes? then i can use the one that will never change as the reply to?

will that work ? if i use this in the headers will that redirect all the bounces to this address instead? here's an example from an overstock email i'm looking at they have Return-path: <10051+10000+22349+011+00000+00001+00+my=email.com@returns.sales.overstock.com>

thanks!

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
The best in my opinion is to set rules in your mail reader to gather all the bounces together in a separate folder. It is how I do it here. I only use 4 rules:

'From' contains 'Mailer-Daemon@'
'From' contains 'postmaster@'
'From' contains 'postoffice@'
'From' contains 'MDaemon@'

Then an action like 'Move Message' to mailbox 'Bounces'.

dstar1

thank you ! this will work and actually i could use the same address to send from without a separate one to send a different in the reply to field

use rules ...to keep your inbox from getting overrun with bounces

not that it matters to process bounces since your program goes through but right now how i'm doing it is i copy all messages from my imap folder to a local folder ...then i tell bounce handler to dredge the entourage folder i copied them all to

bounce handler does not understand mailboxes that are children of my main one INBOX ...so i have a bunch of different accounts all have same name of mail box INBOX but when i create a unique local folder name for the copied messages it finds that unique name