Suggestions for MLM and Max tutorials

mailrock

Hi,

This is not to under estimate Stan's work on this program nor the fact that his help on the forum is very good and mostly quite quick and helpful. It is just that somehow MLM is very confusing.

I know he is going to work on the manuals after MB 8 is out so thought I might write down some of the things which maybe could be addressed in a manual. A manual for those who really need it, not those who don't. A step by step approach with possible reasons for errors.

I have been using MB for a few years now but still just scrape through each mailing as I am still not exactly sure the best way to operate it especially since MLM has come in.

I really like it, but need to feel more confident with it.

Yes I have read the tutorials that I have found, and followed the various threads on the forum, but no they don't clearly cover the points I need especially the indepth flow of the program from initial setting up to looking after Returned Mail etc.

When Stan or someone gets the time and inclination a manual which covers these basic questions, it would be more than welcome and I am sure would certainly increase sales.

The videos for MB are very good and I know one about MLM would be also very popular and helpful. Some folk learn more by watching than reading.

My wish list for the manual would be..

Options of how to..

SET UP A LIST a list

a) Manually add recipients one by one in MB
b) Drag Drop from File to MB
c) Import from text, csv etv file.
c1) Best way to do this for tabs, commas etc
d) 'Must have' fields. Does the program ignore fields which are empty.
d1) If one does not use the Salute tags, is there any advantage have First,Lastname fields.
e) Is it best to set up sub lists or one Primary list.
e1) Say there are 20k in list, what are the cons etc of making smaller lists of say per state or whatever. What happens then with Returns, Subscribe and unsubscrube using MLM
e) Any other ietms one should know what or what NOT to do to set up a list
f) Summary
g) Problem Troubleshooting - What certain problems could mean

SET UP MLM
One can read the easy to mrerad MLM set up on line alreday but that is just bthe beginning of this thing. After that it is a minefield of try and try until you give up or get it.

a) How to install using the MLM Install option within MB
b) How to do it manually.
b1) In each new MB version, where is the /lm/ folder to ftp on site
c) What permissions for folders and files. 777-755 for /lm/ but any others?
d) Once the ftp is done, what is the next correct step
e) Setting up MLM with Permission tab in MB
f) What needs to be done here and what is optional to use MLM
e) What web and email templates to customise in some detail
f) Anything more to do with setting MLM up to use
f1) Subscribe, Unsubscibe, Single Multiple options etc.
g) Summary
h) Problem Troubleshooting - What certain problems could mean

UPLOADING LIST TO MLM
This is a confusing area...
Seems like there are 1 options. One within MB and then other using the Upload.php url.

a) What is the best option to use, and why
b) How and where to name a list for upload
b1) Should list on web be the same name as in MB
c) Is there anything which needs to be done to the recipient list in MB before upload
d) Once it is uploaded how can one check if it all went as planned. Maybe compare?
e) So assuming it has been uploaded correctly..
e1) Does one just hit the Send button within MB to do the mailing, if not where
e2) Anything else that should be done or NOT done
f) How does one know if the list was sent from online or the desk?
g) Summary
h) Problem Troubleshooting - What certain problems could mean

Subscribe and Unsubscibe
Assume the list is correctly online in /lm/

If one subscribes or unsubscribes they are..
a) added/deleted in the list and an email is sent to admin and member (These are the email templates one can change
b) How does this addition/deletion appear/disappear in the list on the desktop in MB?
b1) Does one add/delete it manually from the email that is sent to admin
c) Is this how the Desktop and online list is always the same, if not how is this done
d) Summary
e) Problem Troubleshooting - What certain problems could mean

STATISICS
a) Are these taken from the desktop mailings or MLM?
b) What needs to be set up correctly so that this function works?

RETURNED MAIL

As people seem to change their addresses quite often the Returned mail gets bigger each time. What is the best way to deal with this

a) How and where does one make any changes for Returns and how does it reflect those changes on both online and desktop.

I am sure there are other area which need to be included but I can't think of them at the moment.

I only know that I certainly could do with a manual which goes through all the steps clearly, especially for MLM.

Thanks Stan for the great program..

oz :)

mailrock

After another mailing.. Here is something else for the Manual..

I find I have many old mailings showing in the Statistics panel which I do not need anymore.

How do I delete the ones I don't need please.

Thanks

oz

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
a) How to install using the MLM Install option within MB
b) How to do it manually.
Both are explained here.
b1) In each new MB version, where is the /lm/ folder to ftp on site
It depends, Mac or PC package? Both include it in a folder.
c) What permissions for folders and files. 777-755 for /lm/ but any others?
It depends on how your server is configured, it can be 777, 775 or 755. It is explained here, fourth paragraph.
d) Once the ftp is done, what is the next correct step
I guess checking if the MLM settings in MaxBulk Mailer have been created properly.
e) Setting up MLM with Permission tab in MB
f) What needs to be done here and what is optional to use MLM
The installer automatically filled that info for you.

Indeed the MaxBulk Mailer manual needs a big review. By the way next MaxBulk Mailer v8 will let you delete deliveries.

Once v8 is released I guess we will work on manuals.

mailrock

Thanks Stan..

I suppose some of my own confusion also asks if all the info should be in the Stats section or if one has to enter a /lm/url to check some stats.
I know it must seem one is grasping at straws here but somehow trying to explain it just doesn't seem to come out right.

The way it takes care of crashes now is really good and saves a lot of what we had to do before.

I am still a little lost also on how to deal with Returns.

Anyway as always appreciate your support.

oz

oz