SpamHaus

ccast

I have been using MaxBulk Mailer for a while, however, my last mailing would not go out.

I now receive a message from the mail server
"JunkMail rejected - " followed by my external IP address, my internal NAT address and the next line which states that address is in an RBL.

A URL is listed, http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?=74.xx.xx.xx which then takes me to a web site that indicates that the range of addresses I am in are in a Policy Based List (PBL)

IP Address Lookup
74.xx.xx.xxis not listed in the SBL
74.xx.xx.xis listed in the PBL, in the following records:
* PBL138272

74.xx.xx.xxis not listed in the XBL

Following the PBL link I see the message
Ref: PBL138272
74.76.0.0/14 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)

This IP range has been identified by Spamhaus as not meeting our policy for IPs which should deliver 'direct-to-mx' mail to PBL users

------------------------------
So - My question is, why I am delivering 'direct-to-mx' mail? Why doesn't MaxBulk Mail operate with my ISP's POP server the same way other mail clients operate.

I have a very simple mailing list for members of a community group. Although I enjoy the automation of MaxBulk - I do not want to violate any bulk-mail policy of my ISP or become flagged as a spam source!

Are there setting in MaxBulk that I am not aware of that will basically make the email submitted to the POP Server appear to be just like it were coming from Thunderbird, for instance?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
MaxBulk Mailer doesn't perform direct MX server deliveries. MaxBulk Mailer can only be used using a standard SMTP server. This is the reason why the settings panel ask you for your SMTP server. In that range of IPs I guess someone else has done direct MX server deliveries. You should contact the server postmaster.

ccast

Thanks

OK - I figured it out. It must be that for a long time I was actually not fully authenticating and sending through my ISP mail server! It also must be that this ISP is tightening down and enforcing authentication for sending. As I read the log more carefully I found out what was missing.

I use HostForWeb and the setting that worked is ESMTP to the smtp server for my account. What I neglected in my set up is that my email username is actually "user+domainname" and I simply had user. Since that worked in the past I was off following other announcements in the messages that were returned without conquering the first, probably most important one - like user authentication failed.

Once the setting was corrected all is fine. Thank you for your help.