SMTP Server and ISP Questions

We have not emailed from our list yet. We do not want to take any chances we are not getting the "very best" or "optimal" setup for this process. We are a small business. We have three web sites running with our ISP. We use our ISP for outgoing and Comcast for incoming, we think, or visa versa. We plan on sending a small number of emails, say 900 max per month to our business associates. We have three domain names.

First, we do not want to tip the dreaded "ISP" off with the wrong questions:
**If we ask, "Do we have a dedicated SMTP server?" Or,
**What is the daily limit on our SMTP server? Or,
**Do we only have an ISP mailserver? Or,
**Are we "residential" or a "business" with our ISP? Or,
**Is our IP address registered to a domain name? Or,
**If so, does our "domain name registered with an MX record? (whatever that means?) and so forth...

In short, we do not know what we have or how to talk with them, or what to ask for as part of the ISP setup/service! We are afraid to contact them. If port 25, whatever, is a big deal, we don't want it blocked or some other limitation to be triggered with our questions being naive or giving them fear we are going to clog the internet, thus causing them to blackball us somehow, when we are small and legitimate.

Second,
**is it better to have "our own dedicated SMTP server"?
**And, if so, do we need a separate internal hard drive or other hardware to run it on our MacPro, which we use also as a workstation?
**Does this cause a huge limitation with little advantage due to the "dynamically allocated IP address" issue, or does this only apply if we are strictly residential?
**Currently we are a MacPro, Mac OS X Version 10.5.8. Should we upgrade or wait?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Is it better to have "our own dedicated SMTP server"?
If you are talking about installing a mail server on your office, the response is no. The reason is explained here.
And, if so, do we need a separate internal hard drive or other hardware to run it on our MacPro, which we use also as a workstation?
A mailserver may run in your own computer but as I said before if I were you I will not go this way.
Does this cause a huge limitation with little advantage due to the "dynamically allocated IP address" issue, or does this only apply if we are strictly residential?
On one side it allows you to send lots of messages to lots of people but lots of those messages will bounce. About 30% more than usual.
Currently we are a MacPro, Mac OS X Version 10.5.8. Should we upgrade or wait?
If you own a business and you really care about your subscribers or clients receiving your message I recommend you to get a bulk email account.