Size of files...

Urban_Turban

Stan, I have been using iCash since 2005, and have over the years noticed that the size of a NEW iCash-file is being bigger and bigger....

I'm now at a point where I would like to start a new fresh iCash-file, so I create "New" and arrive at 24,7 MB, thus a basic file with no transaktions but the default accounts and categories.

On the hand I have several old files that ranges from 4.9 - 8.2 - 14,7 MB, the latter containing thousands of transaktion over a 15 year period.

I tend to be a bit of a "minimalist", thus I prefer small and compact files, BUT I would like to know if there's a good reason for new files being such space-hogs ;-). I can always take an old file as a base and delete/change accounts to keep the size down, but something in me says that there is probably a good reason for the files increasing in size every year, or ...?

Please advise - What is the best route to follow? What is best "performance-wise"?
Best Regards, and thanks for keeping this excellent software up to date
/Urban

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
iCash documents are like virtual hard drives, as a result, an empty file is around 23Mb. iCash files not only contain your data but tables and indexes. Depending on how much data you have entered and the indexes that have been created the size can go to 100 Mb quite fast and stabilize. You can always rebuild you iCash document indexes. This can be done from the iCash File Manager and the 'Rebuild Index' menu as explained here.

--
youtube_social_icon_white_17x12.png
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel and watch our tutorials!
Follow maxprog.com on Facebook | Linkedin | Twitter | YouTube
and keep up-to-date with the latest Max Programming updates!

autumnheart

I also noticed that the file which I have using since 2006 is around 12mb (with 25000 transactions) while new files created is at least 23mb (no transactions).
Every time I rebuild index and/or optimize, the app crashes when I re-open the file so I stop doing this. Moreover, it does not reduce the file size by much while giving me a heart attack when the system crash and sometimes file get corrupted (lucky I have a backup).