Searching the manual

Hi,
either I don't find the search function in you online guide or you don't have one. If so, why is that so??
I saw somewhere in the manual an information on how I can attract the recipients to forward my NL to a friend. But I don't find this para any more because you don't have a simple search function.
Where do I find this option "enabling the recipients to easy forward the newletter"? please.
Kind regards
George

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand what you mean. Forwarding is something you do in a email client, not in MaxBulk Mailer. Can you give me more details?

I was looking for this page in the manual:
QUTOE
Forward to a Friend
The forward to a friend link can be handled two different ways. If you want to get fancy, you can have the link open a Web page, which allows the visitor to enter his own e-mail address and his friend's e-mail address. Alternatively, you can have the link open the e-mail software on his own computer so he can send the link himself. The disadvantage of the latter solution is that if he is reading your newsletter from a public or shared computer, it might not be configured to send mail from his account. Also, you can't keep track of how many times the message was forwarded.

The advantage of using a link that opens e-mail is that he will have access to his own address book, and be familiar with how to send the message. This is the code I use to permit readers to forward my newsletter to a friend (you will need to change a few things):
<A href="mailto:?Subject=
I%20think%20you%20should%20read%20this%20Newsletter=
http://www.domain.com/news/newsletter.html">Forward to a friend</A>

The first thing you probably notice is the bit of HTML code "%20." This represents a space to your computer. You can't include spaces in links, so you can't tell the software to use a subject line of "I think you should read this Newsletter." In order to avoid having your subject line be one long word, use "%20" everywhere you want a space. If you're familiar with HTML, you probably noticed that there is no "To" address in the link. The way a mailto link usually works is like this:

<A href="mailto:[email protected]">Send me mail</a>

The reason the Forward-to-a-Friend link has no e-mail address is because it is not known. The reader will have to provide that, and he'll see, when his e-mail client opens up, that the "To" field is blank.

Including a Subject and a Body
Back to our big, hairy link up above. By including the "?Subject=" in the link, you provide the subject line for the message. Pick one that the recipient will want to receive. By including the "=" in the link, you tell the e-mail client what to put in the body of the message. If you click the Forward-to-a-Friend link up above, you'll see that it puts the URL of the newsletter into the body of the message. We don't recommend sending the entire newsletter, although you could do it. Of course, in order for this link to work, the newsletter needs to be somewhere on your Web site, so you can provide the URL.
UNQUOTE

So, I found it but only by going through all pages by hand, because the online manual has no search function.
Naturally forwarding is done with e-mail client, but yourself proposed to include feature in an MaxBulkMailer produced Newsletter, with which the recipient can forward the newsletter.

Anyhow, I tried the solution you are suggesting: not forwarding the newsletter to a friend but informing him where he can find the NL.
This works fine so far, but... Including a subject in the mail works (this command: "?Subject=") but a body does not work. You suggest this "By including the "=" in the link, you tell the e-mail client what to put in the body of the message. " but this is obviously a mistyping. Even changing the "=" to "?Body=" does not work.
This does not produce a body but an extended subject.
I have give up to try this feature.
It is a pity because in general this is a very good software, especially for smaller companies and it offers great international possibilities.
Kind regards
George REeh

austing

"enabling the recipients to easy forward the newletter"?

Not really sure on what you meant by this but can you please explain briefly? The post seemed to be so long and I people could easily get lost on it.