Renaming List Names to Match on the HTML Subscription Pages.

jpbiamby

I have added remote list to MLM and have not been able to figure out how to rename the list in the subscribe/unsubscribe pages to match the name of my remote lists.

Here is the Error message:
Error: List not found
We're sorry, but the list 'list1' can not be found on this server. Check the list name and try again. If the problem persists please contact us at....

Do I have to rename my list called XYZ to match 'list1' or can i change the name of the 'list1' that the message is referring on the html page so the subscription & unsubscription button will work ? If I could change them on the other html pages as well that would really help out as well.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Renaming List Names to Match on the HTML Subscription Pa

You have to edit those pages and replace 'list1' with your list name. With new MLM v3 that will be released in a couple of days you can add the list as a parameter, much easier.

jpbiamby

Thank you. That works initially and I'm sure when i test it will be great.

Bronwen

Please help me to understand this.

I want people to subscribe to one list called "Bronwen_list" (the recipients list that I use in MaxBulk Mailer).

In the file, "subscribe_single_fixed.php" do I change this line:

if ( isset( $_REQUEST['list'] ) && !empty( $_REQUEST['list'] ) ) { $list = $_REQUEST['list']; } else { $list = "list1"; }

to

if ( isset( $_REQUEST['list'] ) && !empty( $_REQUEST['list'] ) ) { $list = $_REQUEST['list']; } else { $list = "Bronwen_list"; }

Bronwen

I did that, and it worked, sort of.

The new subscriber appears in "remote lists."

Is there a way to have it automatically add new entries to the local list, similar to the way Max Bulk Mailer receives unsubscribe notices?

I'm using MBM 7.9.2

Thanks for your help!

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member

Yes, this is automatic as long as you use the [Unsubscribe] tag in your messages and the 'Check for unsubscribe requests when selecting a local list' in the MaxBulk Mailer preferences is checked.

Bronwen

Thanks for your reply, stanbusk.

I'm looking for an automatic update in MaxBulk for Subscribe. Is there a way to do that?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member

What do you mean with automatic update?

Bronwen

stanbusk said:
What do you mean with automatic update?

It seems odd that MLM would automatically update "unsubscribes" in MaxBulkMail (when someone clicks through in an email), but would not automatically add "subscribes" in MaxBulkMail that are created with the MLM form. My conclusion is that I'm doing it wrong.

In my test, when I open the remote list created by the MLM form in MaxBulkMail, it asks to save it, which overwrites the list of the same in MaxBulkMail, deleting all of the previous subscribers. I don't see any easy way to combine the lists.

Forgive my ignorance. I'm a real newbie with this stuff.

Thanks again for your help, stanbusk.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member

Subscription only works for remote lists. When you save a remote lists in MaxBulk Mailer you save it locally. That local copy will no longer be updated until you save the remote list again locally. I don't recommend you to do that. Just use the remote list directly, there is no need to save your list locally. By using the remote list directly you are always sure you are using the very last version.

Bronwen

You've been so kind, I hope you don't mind a few more questions in this vein.

- If I combine multiple lists into one with a new name and delete the original lists, what happens if someone unsubscribes from an old email link?

- Is it safe to delete a local list after uploading to MLM (Recipients menu > Upload to MLM)?

- Is there an advantage or disadvantage to managing everything remotely?

Thanks again.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member

- If I combine multiple lists into one with a new name and delete the original lists, what happens if someone unsubscribes from an old email link?
Nothing will happen since MaxBulk Mailer needs the list to maintain its name. With a new name MaxBulk Mailer has no way to know the unsubscribe requests correspond to the new list.
- Is it safe to delete a local list after uploading to MLM (Recipients menu > Upload to MLM)?
Yes. Each time you select a remote list MaxBulk Mailer creates a backup copy in a safe place anyway.
- Is there an advantage or disadvantage to managing everything remotely?
I don't see any disadvantage actually.

Bronwen

Thanks very much for the prompt and thorough answers!