Remote list updates does not work in MBM

jeffaccs

Hi Stan

I am on MBM 8.3.2 on Macosx 10.6.8 and the MLM that comes with MBM 8.3.2.
Every time I try to save or update or do anything with a remote list in MBM, I get a Error #400 Bad Request message. I can download the remote lists and show the Recipients in the list but if I try to save it back even if I do nothing to that list, I get the #400 Bad request error.
However, I can do everything with those remote lists using my Safari browser and lm.php.
Any ideas on what's wrong with my MBM?
Many thanks!

Jeff

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
MBM uses the same code as the /lm/html/upload_list.php page on your server. Have you tried to upload a list using that page? Does it work?

jeffaccs

Yes, it works in browser mode. I've uploaded a new list and then tried to save it back under MBM and it doesn't work under MBM. All seems fine in lm/html mode.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Weird, the code is the same. Ask the server support about what difference they get when using the web and MaxBulk Mailer. They should have a log to look at.

jeffaccs

I've tried updating the remote lists using MBM and my error logs in cpanel are showing these:
[Tue Aug 16 09:18:13 2011] [error] [client 124.170.5.26] File does not exist: /home/accschin/public_html/400.shtml
[Tue Aug 16 09:17:32 2011] [error] [client 124.170.5.26] File does not exist: /home/accschin/public_html/400.shtml

When using lm/html/lm.php functions no 400.shtml errors flagged.

My server people said, to quote:
"This is not a server issue, but a software issue. If it were a mod_security issue, it would show up differently. As I said, you'll need to get this sorted out with the software company, we really can't be much help here."

So, I am stumped? Any help please?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, so am I. I have never heard of this problem before and the code used on the web and the one used in MaxBulk Mailer are the same. They have been both successfully tested on thousands of computers.

jeffaccs

Is there a way I can download MBM 8.2.1 again? It used to work with 8.2.1. I be happy to test it out using 8.2 or earlier versions of MBM. Thanks.

jeffaccs

Okay, how can I get hold of an old version that can still run under Macosx 10.6.8? I can test MLM using that old version then. That might help isolate the problem. Thanks.

jeffaccs

Okay, I've tried MBM version 7 and that produces the same problem. Could it be a problem related to php 5 or it's configuration? Is it worthwhile trying this on a Windows computer? Any suggestions to help debug this problem would be most appreciated. My host support people refuses to help, saying that it's an app issue and nothing to do with them. Thanks.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
MLM development started 3 years ago on PHP4 then we switched to PHP5 last summer. We made 0 modifications when switching from PHP4 to PHP5 because the code was already prepared for PHP5. Actually we have always used functions available in both PHP4 and PHP5 to avoid problems. Now the server configuration is another story. Anyway the '#400 Bad Request message' error you get is not a PHP error but a web server error. The server doesn't like the GET headers for some reason I don't know. Only the server support can respond to why they are the only one that give this problem. With that info maybe I could have a look at the code.

jeffaccs

So, what can I do next? What can I tell the server support people? Is there a debugging procedure you can suggest? What info is it that you need?
I am not trying to blame anyone - just want to get the thing to work.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Contact your web support, escalate the ticket if necessary until you are sure you are talking to a technician. Then explain the problem, do the necessary to cause the problem so he can see it and looks at the server log. The explanation of the problem is there.

jeffaccs

I already have the cpanel server logs. Each time, I open up the remote list in MBM and do nothing but just 'Save' it, it comes back with the Error #400: Bad Request in MBM.
The server logs posts this message:
[Tue Aug 23 08:40:06 2011] [error] [client 124.170.5.26] File does not exist: /home/accschin/public_html/400.shtml

Server support people insists that they have no other logs except for this one line above. They say "This, again, is a software error. Proper error debugging on their end would tell you where the problem lies. Unfortunately, that's not the case here, but that's not our problem, as we do not develop the software, and we can not do anything with it. Other than that, all I can say is check your error logs in cPanel. Nothing we have here will be any more helpful."

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so everything we know is that you get a 'Error #400 Bad Request message' and the error is unique to the server you are using. What server is it by the way? Its support is awful.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
MLM is also being developed with Apache on Linux, similar version. I am almost sure there is a setting on your server, an Apache setting that is causing this problem. I would say it is likely some kind of security setting.

mailrock

Hi,

Did this get resolved because now I have this problem also. I've checked the url and it is definatley correct in fact has not been touched since the last time about 5 months ago when it did work.

My shared host has..

php 5.2.17
MySQL 5.1.56
Apache 2.2.19
Pearl 5.8.8.

Any ideas?

Is there another way to get the list up to the /upload/ dir. Will it work if we ftp the list up?

oz

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Use:

lm.php?cmd=import&list=list1[;list2;...]&pwd=password&action=update|overwrite[&dups=1]

This command allows you to import one or several lists previously uploaded to your server with an FTP client. MLM expects the lists to be available in the 'imports' directory at script level. If that directory doesn't exist just create it. Upload your list(s) to it and run the command. Recipients will be imported to the list(s) listed in the 'list' parameter. Set action to 'update' in order to add recipients to a existing list(s) taking care of duplicates. You can allow duplicates by adding the optional '&dups=1' parameter. Set action to 'overwrite' if you want to replace all the recipients in current list(s) with those new entries. Once done the script will output import results. Your list(s) must be tab delimited list(s) with at least the 'First name', 'Last name', 'Company' and 'Email address' fields in that same order. NOTE: List(s) are not deleted from the 'imports' directory, you have to do that manually after you have finished with the import process. For security reasons don't let those files there!