Recepient List

lithoart

Is there a way to set defaults when importing Recipients?

My recipients are in a tab-delimited text file
with a set format (number of columns and column order).

How can I import into a list with some defaults?

(1) When I click IMPORT icon on menu bar, I always have to select "From a Text File ...". Can it default to "From a Text File ..." without actually having to select it?

(2) After I select file to import, can I have a default IMPORT PRESET? Instead of actually having to select a specific Import Preset EACH time?

(3) Or is there a simpler way to do these with Drag & Drop?
How will files needed to be set up and formatted (if possible)?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
(1) When I click IMPORT icon on menu bar, I always have to select "From a Text File ...". Can it default to "From a Text File ..." without actually having to select it?
Since there are many ways to import data you have to select the method from the list.
(2) After I select file to import, can I have a default IMPORT PRESET? Instead of actually having to select a specific Import Preset EACH time?
The import window already offers that, it is the preset pull-down menu on the window top right.
(3) Or is there a simpler way to do these with Drag & Drop?How will files needed to be set up and formatted (if possible)?
Yes, you can drop files. If no format is used a parser will extract the email addresses. If you use a format it will be respected. The format is:
Firstname<tab>Lastname<tab>Company<tab>Email Address
or
Firstname<tab>Lastname<tab>Company<tab>Email Address<tab>Opt1<tab>Opt2...

lithoart

=================================
Since there are many ways to import data you have to select the method from the list.
I realise there are a number of types of data to import,
and you have provided ways to import these.

However, I ALWAYS import tab-delimited files.
Formatted the same way with the same columns and column names.
So my question was
"Is there a way to set "From a Text File…" as the default to be automatically selected without actually having to click on it?"

Will save time and a few more mouse clicks.

The import window already offers that, it is the preset pull-down menu on the window top right.
Same thing here…
I ALWAYS import tab-delimited files.
Formatted the same way with the same columns and column names.
At the moment, the default (the first one) is NOT my desired PreSet.
The second one IS (I created it).
So my question was
"Is there a way to set my PreSet as the default to be automatically selected without actually having to click on it?"

Will save time and a few more mouse clicks.

(3) Or is there a simpler way to do these with Drag & Drop?How will files needed to be set up and formatted (if possible)?
Yes, you can drop files. If no format is used a parser will extract the email addresses. If you use a format it will be respected. The format is:
Firstname<tab>Lastname<tab>Company<tab>Email Address
or
Firstname<tab>Lastname<tab>Company<tab>Email Address<tab>Opt1<tab>Opt2...
I tried to drag and drop my file, but the parser didn't work properly.
One of the column was a combination of 2 columns in my file!

Using your format, ….
(1) Do I have follow the order which you have set?
i.e; Firstname followed by a TAB, then Lastname followed by a TAB, then Company followed by a TAB, then Email Address followed by a TAB, then Opt1 followed by a TAB, then Opt2...

(2) Do I use Opt1, Opt2, … as field names or can I use my own (i.e, Serial #, and Client ID)

(3) Can I use this?
Client ID<tab>Company<tab>Email Address<tab>Serial #

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
(1) Do I have follow the order which you have set?
i.e; Firstname followed by a TAB, then Lastname followed by a TAB, then Company followed by a TAB, then Email Address followed by a TAB, then Opt1 followed by a TAB, then Opt2...
Absolutely!
(2) Do I use Opt1, Opt2, … as field names or can I use my own (i.e, Serial #, and Client ID)
It doesn't matter here since we are talking about order. You can indeed rename all those fields inside MaxBulk Mailer but can't change the order.

lithoart

Anyone else thinks automatic default settings are a time saver and should be an added feature on future versions?