Process Question: Bounce Handler Integration with MBM/MLM

Bounce Handler filters (recognizes) bounce e-mails that cannot be delivered for some reason. Fine. Then what does it do the the recognitions? Does it update the list on the server? I have the following different bounce types received in Mail:

I have changed my email address to...
Undeliverable mail:...
(address) has unsubscribed from...
Out of Office...
...(Automatic Response)...
Returned mail: see transcript for details...
Delivery Status Notification (Failure)...
Your email required verification...

In other words, after my first run with MaxBulk Mailer, I have aggregated all of my responses in a dedicated Mail Folder.
---I guess my next step is to edit my list manually?
---Or, can I have BH take all of those and remove them, with the exception of the small group with changed email address which I will manually fix?
---Maybe it is too late. If BH does recognize and modify the list on my server (Uploaded with MLM to my website) do they get deleted, or changed to unsubscribed?
---If I must manually do this, I get the feeling I should make all edited contacts "unsubscribe" so they do not happen again, rather than delete anything?

Thank you.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
eMail Bounce Handler can get bounces either by downloading them from your POP or IMAP mailboxes or processing a folder on your mail software (Mac only). Then it processes them all and generates a list. You can then export your bounce list, name it 'DELETE' or 'UNSUBSCRIBE' and drop it over your list loaded into MaxBulk Mailer. So, no need to go manual. If you are processing a MLM list, once you are done your will have to use the 'Recipients > Upload to MLM' menu.

Using Mac OS X Version 10.6.3 with MaxBulk Mailer 7.6 and eMail Bounce Handler 3.7.3, this happened:

We did exactly what you suggested. Everything seemed to work fine up until we went to the recipient's Upload to MLM in MaxBulk Mailer, then we received "the URL is not valid. Error #403: Forbidden (http://www.OurAddress.com/ListFileName/lm/lm.php)".

What can we do to solve this problem?

---Under "Preferences/General/Remote List field" it is:

http://www.Address.com/ListName/lm/lm.php

---Then, under MLM Installation it has a field for "Web:" which we have filled in as:

http://www.Address.com

Under, "How to Install MLM On Your Server" it just wants the website, not the path for the lm.

---We just thought of another possible answer:

MLM Installation asks for an ID and Password. They are the same in MBM and MLM; but not the same as the ID and Password to get onto our ISP information and setup access?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
ID and password for MLM are just for accessing MLM data. They have nothing to do with your ISP data.

Re: Process Question: Bounce Handler Integration with MBM/ML

We did what you suggested (already done above a prior time) this second time and we received the following:

Not Found

The requested URL /outreach/lm/lm.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.7771millcreek.com Port 80

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member

That means the URL is wrong. This is a Apache error (Apache is the web server software). This is not a MLM error. The error means there is no page at the given address.

jpbiamby

Re:

stanbusk said:
eMail Bounce Handler can get bounces either by downloading them from your POP or IMAP mailboxes or processing a folder on your mail software (Mac only). Then it processes them all and generates a list. You can then export your bounce list, name it 'DELETE' or 'UNSUBSCRIBE' and drop it over your list loaded into MaxBulk Mailer. So, no need to go manual. If you are processing a MLM list, once you are done your will have to use the 'Recipients > Upload to MLM' menu.
Tried this method a few times with no luck.
Any possible way of me deleting all the emails in my bounce list without having to export the whole list and then scrub it and then re-import?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member

What are you trying to do exactly?

jpbiamby

Delete a group of emails from my remote list with a tab separated list exported from eMail Bounce Handler that I aptly named DELETE.txt

jpbiamby

stanbusk said:
What are you trying to do exactly?
Basically, I would love to know how to process a bounce list from eMail Bounce handler. I can delete emails one by one but the bounce list is 880 emails that i would like to delete from my remote list. I can export the list from Bounce handler and use the upload page to unsubscribe. If I use the upload_list.php page then what would be the correct setting: Append, Overwrite, Delete?
What do each of those functions do exactly?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member

You can use either the upload_list.php page or the 'Recipients > Upload to MLM' menu.

Append -> Append the addresses to the list
Overwrite -> Replace the list with this new one.
Delete -> Delete the addresses of a file.

You have to select 'Delete'.

jpbiamby

When I do this I get this message:
The file 'DELETE.txt' has been uploaded to the list(s) 'list1' successfully.

email address(es) has been removed from list1.

Then i check the list info using:
http://mysite.com/scripts/lm/lm.php?cmd ... d=password

The number of subscribed emails is the same as it was. None have been deleted. The number should be reduced by the number of emails in my bounce list correct?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member

Yes it should, as long as MLM has found addresses to delete. Are you using the upload_list.php page or the 'Recipients > Upload to MLM' menu?

jpbiamby

stanbusk said:
Yes it should, as long as MLM has found addresses to delete. Are you using the upload_list.php page or the 'Recipients > Upload to MLM' menu?
I've tried both with no luck.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member

When did it start to fail?