No emails are extracted although the file contains many

frustrated

Can't figure out this frustrating program.

Email extractor just reports queued /processing for hours, but never extracts any emails at all. The help file has no useful information, but guessing that the program can't handle anything other than small plain text files, I copied a small portion of the original plain text file to a new .txt document and tried again.

After waiting a long time, I get the unhelpful message:

Process complete
Mails processed: 22,036
Valid addresses: 0
Bad addresses: 1
Duplicates: 0

WTF? The program won't handle large files at all. And when pointed to a small plain text file recognizes that there are 22,000 emails but doesn't extract any of them. I also had the generate a detailed error report preference checked and no error file is generated. Nor can I find how to keep the program from forcing itself to be on top of other windows.

The source file is a plain text file, not a binary. In this case a standard vbulletin database in comma delimited format. There are 22,084 valid email addresses there. Of which email extractor identifies only 22,036 and extracts zero.

Excerpt:
Code:
INSEERT INTO `vb_user` VALUES (9803,23,'',0,'hellmore','80c457f45464a272bc4a4c2fe8de2dd5','2008-12-29','[email protected]',(9825,23,'',0,'hellson','44c423f45433a211ac4b342fecwd34rt','2010-10-04','[email protected]',

email extractor 3.6.4, windows xp sp3

Any help appreciated

wessley

Hi,

That's strange. How are the files formatted?

Can you send us a small sample using our ticket system?

Thanks,
Wes

frustrated

Excerpt:
Code:
INSEERT INTO `vb_user` VALUES (9803,23,'',0,'hellmore','80c457f45464a272bc4a4c2fe8de2dd5','2008-12-29','[email protected]',(9825,23,'',0,'hellson','44c423f45433a211ac4b342fecwd34rt','2010-10-04','[email protected]',
Umm.. already did that? The sample in the original post shows the formatting.
It's just a CSV list. It clearly doesn't work and it doesn't sound like you have any idea why.
I've already spent way too much time trying to get this one to work.
Moving on as I need a program that can work with a comma delimited list.

Happy New year

-

wessley

Sorry, didn't notice the sample…

That doesn't look like CSV to me, it looks like an SQL export file. Are you able to convert that into CSV and try again?

Best,
Wes

frustrated

It is a CSV file. CSV files use a diverse range of formatting which makes them a pain to edit by hand and ideally suited for a rules based extraction program. A CSV file is simply a file that is 1) plain text, 2) consists of records, with each record in the file formatted the same, and 3) with the records divided into delimited fields. A so called SQL export file is just an unofficial moniker for a CSV file that is formatted in a specific manner. One example or subset of a CSV file.

I bought your program to extract the email addresses from CSV files. Having to buy yet another program to do the same thing would be redundant. A competently written program that would would convert between CSV variants will undoubtedly be able to separate the email addresses as well. Exactly what I bought your program to do based on your description of the program.

Your product description reads:
eMail extractor is a very powerful and reliable tool to extract e-mail addresses from all kind of text sources like your local files, plain text drops and the clipboard. eMail extractor is very fast, easy to use and multithread. It retrieves absolutely all valid e-mail addresses and generates an output file with only good and well formatted e-mail addresses without duplicates.
I appreciate your support, but what you're making clear is that your programs cannot do what is claimed in the description. Your description claims that the program will work with all kinds of text files and that it will retrieve absolutely all of the email addresses. But it doesn't. Your description didn't say anything about your program not being able to handle common text file types such as SQL or CSV. In fact it says exactly the opposite and boasts that it will work with all kinds of text sources. Which convinced me to buy it. Just the small matter of it being much less capable than claimed.

Well perhaps my payment at least helped pay for your office Christmas party. Since it doesn't live up to it's claims, it didn't help me in any way.

-