Need Simple solution for Subscring / Unsubscribing

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Russian text may cause the URL to be bigger since each character use two bytes, so a subject of 20 ASCII characters will be 40 in Russian once encoded... :-/
Anyway length limit comes from your server. It is rare to see such limits. First time I see this problem actually.

I added the Russian translation to MLM last week. It will be part of MaxBulk Mailer now on.

Tikhanski

I still have problems with tracking and unsubscription. When I change in Russian recipient name to longer one, the problem appears again. Unsubscription works wrongly for ALL lists and not for one particular. The same thing as I said before happens with increasing subject line. Sysadmin said we have no particular limits and that subject is a part of the body. Please advise.

Please try and experiment yourself but using Russian characters to copy the problem.

E.g. when I put "–¢–µ–Ω–¥–µ—Ä–Ω—ã–π –æ—Ç–¥–µ–ª" as recipient name it works wrongly. But when I put "Tender Department" it works fine. So it is a combination of amount of russian characters not just in recipient's name as appeared later, but recipient's name + sender's name + subject line. All this cause fault when increased.

So it works wrongly when I put this:

Recipient: –¢–µ–Ω–¥–µ—Ä–Ω—ã–π –æ—Ç–¥–µ–ª
Sender: –ü–ê–†–¢–ù–ï–† –ö–û–ù–°–ê–õ–¢–ò–ù–ì
Subject: –£—á–∞—Å—Ç–Ω–∏–∫–∞–º –≤ —Ç–µ–Ω–¥–µ—Ä–Ω—ã—Ö –∑–∞–∫—É–ø–∫–∞—Ö –∏ –∞—É–∫—Ü–∏–æ–Ω–∞—Ö
Body: All other text is in Russian of course, but I guess this does not participate in forming the link.

I guess server have nothing to do with it. This is definitely script which forms the link works faulty converting Russian characters to something later wrong working. It forms the link but the wrong one without link to particular list.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
The script generates standard links with parameters, there is no other way to do that. Of course it is a problem with you server, they have put all kind of security limitations that conflict with MLM URLs. If I could make URLs shorter I would do it but I can't, data has to be transferred to MLM and it is the way it is done, parameters with data. I recommend you to insist with your server. Note that I have been working on MLM for 10 years so far and it is the very first time I heard of this problem, I mean this is extremely uncommon. Why limiting PHP URL parameters? It is nonsense.

Tikhanski

You meet this problem for the first time, but it does not mean that there is no problem. Everything happens once for the first time. Maybe you had not Russian customers before with Cyrillic characters. So this is not an argument , please accept it.

Ok, if you are so experienced, can you tell what exactly and where we should increase or get rid of a limit. We increased in nginx but it seems to be not what you meant. We have suhosin.get.max_value_length but suhosin in not turned on at all on our server. What exacts parameter and where we should check? Thank you.

[root@server web]# httpd -V
Server version: Apache/2.2.15 (Unix)
Server built: Nov 15 2012 15:52:50
Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:24
Server loaded: APR 1.3.9, APR-Util 1.3.9
Compiled using: APR 1.3.9, APR-Util 1.3.9
[10/11/2014 10:53:06] –ê–Ω–¥—Ä–µ–π: [root@server web]# php -v
PHP 5.4.25 (cli) (built: Feb 18 2014 14:20:14)
Copyright (c) 1997-2014 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.4.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2014 Zend Technologies

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
You have a problem and I don't have the answer, sorry for this. Right now I don't know the solution. :(
How can I help you if I don't have the answer? not sure, I don't even know what kind of problem it is.

This is an unknown issue. I believe it is a server problem not accepting given parameters in a standard URL, lm.php?p1=data&p2=data...etc... Other systems tracking URLs use to be lot bigger that MLMs.

All I know so far, a standard PHP script using standard URLs with parameters. How can we make MLM work if your server doesn't accept the parameters? Can I do something? Not sure.

Tikhanski

General observation. It all works without problem if I use latin characters and It stops working properly and become vulnerable when I use somewhere or everywhere cyrillic letters (subject line, Recipient name in particular). This is not about the length of the link I guess. This is how php works and prepares the link with Russian (cyrillic) characters.

The problem is that I try to help, I ask you to experiment with noticed things and many times made experiments. I give you all details, particular instructions how I did this or that, when it changes its behaviour, please copy and analyse. You simply point to server admin without any attempt to help and telling that I need to do something you don't exactly know what exactly. I have a God sysadmin with years of experience, who I pay for. He says there is no any limits on our server he knows about. To be honest, he says that when programmers are lazy to correct and fix they always blame server admins.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
MaxBulk Mailer is an Unicode UTF-8 application, we use last PHP language with UTF-8 as well. Database connection is also Unicode UTF-8. Actually everything is made to support whatever language.

MaxBulk Mailer links are Base64 encoded.

Your server has a problem. What does the server support says? Can they give any clue? I have no problem in looking things but what should I look at?

Tikhanski

Please look at php script and encoding Cyrillic characters. Somehow they work wrongly. I guess the problem is hapenning while encoding and forming the links. Links are not formed properly using Cyrillic characters. I wrote you before how to name recipient and subject in Cyrillic to copy the problem. Did you do that?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I really need to see that link in plain, it would really help. I know you already send the sources of several messages but is not usable, I need the 'bad' link as it would be used by the subscriber. I have checked the MLM script and PHP urlencode() is used everywhere.

Tikhanski

What I should do then? Give me your email and I will send you a letter. Right?
At the same moment you can open a copy of you soft and copy/paste Russian characters to subject and recipient name I have send you before and copy the issue to whatever address. Why don't you do this?

Tikhanski

Hi,

I participated in software development :). I have translated MLM into Russian. Today I have bought MaxBulk Mailer for Windows (Invoice P2014004631). I'll appreciate if you can thank me for my work with full or partial refund. I had to ask for this before but this crossed my mind just now.

Thanks in advance.

Aleks.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
A refund will automatically cancel your license, not a good idea. I will be more than pleased to pay you for your work! Just contact me thru the private support and give me your Paypal address and the amount you think you deserve. :D