Need Simple solution for Subscring / Unsubscribing

Tikhanski

Hi,

I am not a programer, I could not understand the way this was described on the website. Can you please provide step by step instruction what to do for a simple customer of your product.

1. I just want to put 2 links into my emails - Subscribe / Unsubscribe.
2. I want these links to be customisable so I can call them any word.
3. I want receive messages on my email to see who subscribed / who unsubscribed as a duplicate, the same way to those who pressed the button and received a confirmation of their action.
4. I want to be able to translate or change system messages that customer sees on the webpage after pressing one of the buttons and email he receives as confirmation. I have Russian customers for an instance I want them read Russian messages.

If you help me to realise that simple algorithm in a friendly user manner I appreciate.

Thanks.

Tikhanski

4. I've translated lm_strings.php by adding 'ru' strings to the code.
Also I've changed to 'ru' the setting in lm_settings.php and lm.php.
I added new ru folder to templates as well with Russian translated files I copied before and translated from en folder.

It seems like it is working now. Maybe I need to change somewhere else. Please advise.
All these is for translation. But still I haven't got a solution for Subscring / Unsubscribing

Tikhanski

About Unsubscribe. I inserted Unsubscribe tag to my email and tested how it works.

First, messages started to go directly to Spam, e.g. yahoo mail. Yahoo said some images in the message while there was just text and links to pages not to images. Before adding a tag unsubscribe delivery was successfully in inbox.

Second, not all email providers are able to work with this script, they can't determine email address to unsubscribe so it shows an error of unsubscribing.

Also those who successfully unsubscribed and received conf. email has problems of subscribing back. In that email there is still possibility to subscribe again. Clicking on that link makes an error:
Error - You forgot to provide the list name parameter: &list=listname

Too many dances about this script including my other topic above about about missing statistics for local lists and well working for remote list.

Should I go further trying to fix it with your help? I would or I can wait until you fix it in major update or something.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, what do you want me to fix? It is your mail reader that throw messages to the spam box (or not), you can try to edit the lm_prefs.php file and use a SMTP server rather than default PHP Mail command. I don't know if it will make any differences. Note that MLM is made with standard PHP, no hacks. MLM only maintains a few mySQL tables, respond to simple inline PHP commands and sends emails. We made it as simple as possible.

If you want to include the Russian translation into MLM just send me the material, that way the transition will be available for other Russians and to you automatically for all new updates.

Tikhanski

Hi,

I understand. Ok, I'll sort it out what I can on my side.

One thing apart from "no statistics" in my other topic is still not resolved:

Also those who successfully unsubscribed and received conf. email has problems of subscribing back. In that email there is still possibility to subscribe again. Clicking on that link makes an error:

Please find attached Russian translation and files where I have changed something. Hopefully I did it right.

Tikhanski

About written above. Unsubscription started to work with many mail providers, but for some reason error for mail.ru and rambler.ru still persists (major free mail providers in Russia).

I want to resolve it and happy to help. If you need anything from my side feel free to ask.

Tikhanski

One more thing. For those I've unsubscribed where I can see statistics and I've received confirmation email that they unsubscribed and notification within software.

I've received it from all but mail.ru and rambler.ru customers. I guess for the same reason and I can't track statistics for them for some reason.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you check one of those unsubscription e-mails? What is the URL you get?
Thanks for the Russian translation, I will check it, it seems the lm_strings.php is not translated.

Tikhanski

I noticed today when I unsubscribe that system message says email address was unsubscribed from all list, not from any particular, while yesterday it said from THIS list. And yesterday it worked with statistics and app notification who unsubscribed, not just email message. Today it did not work.

Also I've noticed that when I try to unsubscribe on accounts mail.ru and rambler.ru the system says that that email address was not found on the lists. It sends though a confirmation letter of unsubsription but does not show which address unsubscribed in letter text.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Is your server limiting the URL size or the URL parameter size? It the only explanation I see. Your problem comes from your server, probably some kind of security setting. To say the true I have never seen that specific problem before. The MLM unsubscribe URL contains everything, including the email address and list.

The unsubscribe URL is long, just the 'un' parameter is:
QWxleAkJCXNhc2hhQHRpa2hhbnNraS5jb20JW0luZm9dIFtEZWxpdmVyeSBOdW1iZXJdINCj0YfQsNGB0YLQvdC40LrRgyDQsiDQs9C+0YHQsNGD0LrRhtC40L7QvdCw0YUgIChbU2hvcnQgRGF0ZV0pIFtSZWNpcGllbnQgTnVtYmVyXSDQuNC3IFtUb3RhbCBSZWNpcGllbnRzXQk2ODkJVGVzdAk4NTgzLTkJNgl1bnN1YnNjcmliZQlubwlubw

Copy and paste that code here and you will see what data is included. I can see the list.

Tikhanski

My server administrator replied that yes there is a limit for long addresses and it is normal. This is set in nginx. He said that due to security reasons he can't remove it completely but he increased it from 8k to 32k. Are there any possibility to shorten the links if this the case?

I have tested after that increase. Some emails unsubscribed properly and determined an email to unsubscribe, while others just unsubscribed from all list. I received emails notifying for particular email unsubscription and that someone unsubscribed. Please find attached both. Statistics still not working.

My sysadmin said after analysed test letters that the problem with link generation. No server fault.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7356833/Source.zip

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Links are standard, nothing fancy. I have seen e-mails with tracking much much much longer that mlm's. I would say MLM's has of the shorter.
Is there a limit per parameter in the link?

Tikhanski

Good letter means when user received it, pressed Unsubscribe link and:
1. Browser opened new link confirming his email address unsubscription, quoting his email address.
2. Received confirmation email with his address quoted.
3. Admin received email quoting email

Bad letter:
1. Browser opened new link confirming his email address unsubscription, NOT quoting his email address. Just unsubscribed from ALL lists message.
2. Has NOT received confirmation email with his address quoted.
3. Admin received email NOT quoting email but just notice that someone unsubscribed.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Understood! :D

Can you paste here the two different links?

Good letter link:
Bad letter link:

Tikhanski

Hi everyone,

I have solved all my problems with software. Completely wiping out local part, remote php part and database, then fresh installation helps a lot.

Also I've noticed specific error when unsubscribing from some customers on some servers. It was all about the length of the subject line. For some reason for me not more than 39 characters works fine. If I use more then when some users press unsubscribe they receive message they they were unsubscribed from ALL lists instead of some particular list. It means no auto unsubscription function works within software.

I have translated php messages to russian. And I hope next update will contain it, so I don't need manually change the filed. New and updated translation is attached.

Take care and all the best.

Alex.