MLM sort of working- am I doing this right?

crazylev

OK, I think I got MLM working kind of. I used the Installer to set up everything, entering user names, passwords, etc. but I was having no luck.

I finally went in to my lm folder and took a look at the lm_settings.php in Dreamweaver, and everywhere where there should have been usernames, passwords, sql PW and user names had to be manually filed in.

I saved the file back to the lm folder. Now when I send a few test emails to myself, they show up in the statistics window.

I decided to try an experiment: I took a half dozen contacts and placed them in an email in Mbulk mail. I then changed each email address to try and invoke a "bounce".

However, when I checked the statistics, the emails say "opening" under the Action column. They should have registered bounced.

I did get in my email, the usual undeliverable email for the 6 emails as expected.

So why would the emails in the statistics say "Opening"?

On another note, I am confused why there are no record of clicks when I clicked on a url in the email to go to a web site?

Thanks.

Jonathan

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Opening means the message was displayed in the recipient software. It is the very only way. Perhaps you open the message yourself or the bounce if that bounce contains the message in its original form (quite rare).

If you want tot see bounces in MLM you need to use eMail Bounce Handler entering the MLM preferences in that tool as well.

crazylev

Stan,

That is exactly what was happening: As the bounced messages were incoming to my Apple mail, I may have "opened" them inadvertly by using the delete button in Apple mail. Each time I would delete, the next massage would display in my apple message pane, which I think is registering as an "open" in MLM.

So is it possible to have my Apple mail open (to do other work while sending in MBM) and NOT receive the bounces there and only have EBH pick up the messages?

It seems that right now the only way for everything to work is to keep Apple mail closed from before a send in MBM, and then run EBH for a few hours, and then open Apple mail?

I know I have an option in Apple mail settings to "leave messages on server" but then every time an incoming bounce came to my Apple mail, it would register as an "open" in MLM.

I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to have Apple mail open at the same time as sending in MBM, but not having those "bounces" register as "opens" in MLM.

I can certainly live with keeping my Apple mail program closed for a few hours if there is no other way.

Thank you so much for your help!

Jonathan

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
So is it possible to have my Apple mail open (to do other work while sending in MBM) and NOT receive the bounces there and only have EBH pick up the messages?
Yes, you can have Apple Mail open. Create a rule to move bounces to a folder, you can then process bounces with eMail Bounce Handler fetching them from that folder as well. eMail Bounce Handler can both process Apple Mail folders or connect to POP/IMAP servers
It seems that right now the only way for everything to work is to keep Apple mail closed from before a send in MBM, and then run EBH for a few hours, and then open Apple mail?
Only if you want eMail Bounce Handler to fetch the bounces from your server, indeed you should not fetch them with Apple Mail first.