MLM script permissions

chrisross

Hello. Thanks for the cool scripts.

I have tried about every combination of permissions and have battled getting the mlm.php script to fully function. Using a text file (not SQL as of yet). Because I could never get a list created, I was wondering if there was some corruption of the files on my HD. After hours of messing around, I finally re-uploaded a fresh set of files without changing any names, leaving the files as pristine as possible just to get it working before I truly customize anything.

1) Corrected fields in mlm_settings.php
2) Uploaded the entire folder (strangely enough, the Mac (using Transmit) always adds .php to the end of the folder name when uploaded. I delete the .php from the folder name.) Everything is in the /mlm_lite_php/ directory
3) Using Transmit, I verify the mlm_lite_php directory is 777
4) I enter "http://www.4hfair.com/mlm_lite_php/mlm.php?cmd=subscribe&list=LIST_NAME&[email protected]" and get the following error "Error: Subscription attempt failure". Again, for the sake of keeping everything pristine, I wasn't even worried if I actually created a list called "list_name"... I just wanted it to work.
5) I then enter "http://www.4hfair.com/mlm_lite_php/mlm.php?cmd=createlist&list=list_name&pwd=admin" and get the following error "Error - Impossible to create the list." I left the default user and password in this latest upload attempt.

I've logged into the server and using the file manager (a shared host's server), which is running other php scripts just fine, also confirms my permissions are set accordingly.

There is a Forum posting from jburnard that had his ISP change permissions of the mlm directory to 755 and the mlm_settings.php and mlm.php to 644 and appears to have been successful

Also of note, the script has partially been successful because it wrote three additional directors in the mlm_lite_pho directory. Because I was wondering if there was a problem with the "lists" directory, I tried changing the permissions of that and I receive an error because the owner and group are both set to 'apache'.

Here's my file structure:
/mlm_lite_php/
-- /html (all the web forms) which cause the same creation/subscription errors as above
-- /lists (nothing in it) owner/group 'apache' 755
-- /mailqueue (nothing in it) owner/group 'apache' 755
-- mlm_readme.html
-- mlm_settings.php 644
-- mlm.php 644
-- /requests (nothing in it) owner/group 'apache' 755
-- /templates (default files as downloaded) 755

Sorry for the lengthy note, but I wanted to provide as much info as possible.

Thanks,
Chris

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Try to CHMOD the 'list' directory to 777. Please tell me if that fixes the problem.

chrisross

chrisross said:
-- /lists (nothing in it) owner/group 'apache' 755

No. I tried that yesterday and it gives me an error.... [could not change permissions of "lists']

I assume this is because 'apache' is the owner and group (because the script created the directory). So I'm going to delete the directory and then manually create it so I can give it the correct permissions and see if something can get written to it.

Thanks,
Chris

chrisross

I have discovered there are three invisible files (enews.in, enews.lock & enews.out) and then one visible enews.txt file. All four of these files are owned by 'apache' and they all have 644 permissions. I cannot change the permissions of these four files.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Those files are the list files, one is the list itself and the others are used by the software. 644 is the right permission for them and actually 755 would also be the right permission for the enclosing folder.

Do the script creates a folder named 'requests'? What permission has it been set to? Is there files inside?

chrisross

stanbusk said:
Do the script creates a folder named 'requests'? What permission has it been set to? Is there files inside?
Yes, there is a 'requests' folder. It's owner/group is 'apache' and it has permissions of 755.

There are no visible or invisible files within that folder.

Chris

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
So after an subscription attempt the folder remains empty right? Actually the problem is with this directory. Tru to CHMOD it to 777.

chrisross

stanbusk said:
So after an subscription attempt the folder remains empty right? Actually the problem is with this directory. Tru to CHMOD it to 777.
I couldn't change permissions of this folder, so I deleted it and manually created a new one... of which I could then change to 777. So that finally worked and I've have successfully subscribed to a list now.

The problem all along seemed to be on the folders that the script automatically created.

Thanks!
Chris

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I think your server has a weird configuration. 755 uses to be enough for a script to work. In our tests we always use 755. I will wait and see if I have similar cases.