mlm does not remove unsubriber from list

BMcDonald

I just installed the mlm on my server and the subscription function worked fine, but the unsubscribe doesn't. I looked like it worked fine. No errors. Correct emails were sent out, but the email address was not actually deleted from the list file. I just noticed it's adding the unsubscribed emails to the .out file, but leaves then in the .in file. I guess it's working right. I'm assuming when MaxBulk Mailer interacts with the files on the server, it will remove the names on the .out list?

I'm also trying to connect to the remote list and I get a 400: Bad Request error. I'm using this url in the preferences

http://kickthemallout.com/mlm/mlm.php?c ... &list=KTAO Project Newsletter&pwd=password[&output=file]

I notice in this post, putting spaces in the list name ruins the link? So you can't create list names with spaces in it?

BMcDonald

I just added the plus signs an it worked fine. But I found a little bug.

I did a test with my name on all the email addresses, last name McDonald and your little program turned the "D" into a "d" on all three entries. There are many names that have more than one capital letter in them. Could you tweak that please?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
At what point de you get that? On MLM or when loading back the list in MaxBulk Mailer?

BMcDonald

Also, it's kinda strange you would put the 'remote list' info in the preferences, which only allows one URL. I don't need it now, but I foresee needing to have a separate remote list for several different projects. It would make more sense to allow a URL for each separate List don't you think? As it is, I have to edit the preferences every time I want to access a different remote list. Would it be that hard to move that setting to list specific settings?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
One URL to one script that can handle as many lists as you need actually. Reason why it has been done that way. It is 'Remote Lists', not 'Remote List'. When you select 'Remote Lists' on the list pull-down menu you will get as many lists as the ones you have on MLM.

BMcDonald

Your documentation isn't very complete so it's hard to understand how the thing works. So you're saying that if I have more then one remote list, I can just include it in the preferences URL and each individual list will show up in a drop down so I will be able to just choose the one I want for the particular local list I want to send out. If so, that's pretty slick. No complaints if that's the case.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. When you choose 'Remote Lists' from the list pull-down menu you will get all the available lists, then you can select the one(s) you want to send your message to.

BMcDonald

Hi again. I'm having trouble with the MLM unsubscribe function. It seems some people are able to unsubscribe just fine, but others can't. One guy wrote me that he couldn't so I went to try it myself and it said the email wasn't found. I opened the newletter.txt and the newsletter.in list and his email is there.

Herbert Russell
[email protected]

The subscribe page is here:

http://www.kickthemallout.com/staticpages/index.php/KTAO_eNews_Letter_Subscription_Page

First I got a message that it could not be found. Now it says it's not a valid email address.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Lists are the files with the '.txt' extension. Is the address still in that file? The file with the '.in' extension will list all the addresses that was once subscribed.

BMcDonald

Yes, the address is in both the .txt file and the .in file.

It seems MLM just can't handle all the "periods" in the email address.

Also, you know MLM creates these list files in a form that does not allow me to download and edit them. The permissions are whacked. I checked with my hosting company and they are installing some program that is supposed to fix the issue. Hopefully.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
This is the reason why MLM also supports mySQL. With mySQL you don't have those problems. You can edit the DB table from your web site control panel or using phpMyAdmin.

About your problem, what email address is this?

BMcDonald

I tried to set it up with mysql but couldn't get it to work. Probably should try that again and get your help with that.

the address that started all this is

[email protected]

Lots of periods. MLM doesn't seem to like them.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Actually MBM doesn't mind of periods, there is post-processing of email addresses. They are entered as is. The address can contain as many period as you like. I guess the problem is other. Perhaps the user have added some kind of invisible control character. You can find out downloading the list file, opening it with TextWrangler and using the 'Zap Gremlins' menu.