iCash/transferring money

Rose

I give up. I've looked all through the Help section, and tried every combination of Accounts, Types and Categories I can think of and still can't get it to work properly.

Specifically, I want to show/track a transfer of $ back and forth to various bank and savings accounts; e.g. from my bank account to my money market account. I started with what seemed a simple transaction and used Type = Transaction, then used my checking account as "origin account" and my money market account as "target account".

(I did try different calegory names, but I don't see any place in the transaction FOR that)

It did, in the way I eventually figured out, add the money to my Savings Account, but it wasn't subtracted from my checking account.

I then turned to Help and did as suggested, by my interpretation, and duplicated the transaction (as well as using "transfer to...), then used a different date, and used Type = Transfer, used my checking account as origin and my savings as target.

It didn't make much sense to me (besides being unable to figure out what was the purpose of two transactions on different dates) to just reverse the order of the accounts in the duplicated transaction.

The example in Help shows just one transaction - showing type= Transfer, checking as origin and savings as target. Like I did originally. So that wasn't much help.

I would think I could just simply transfer from one account to the other in the manner I tried (and like I thought the Help section showed in its picture but not in its text). What am I missing??

:?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure I understand your problem. What kind of transaction are you trying to create? Actually iCash always move money from origin account to target account. It works exactly as real life, you take money from one place and put on another place. Let me know.

Rose

transferring funds

I appologize. I said Type = Transaction, when I meant to say Type = Transfer. No wonder it was confusing. :oops:

What I meant to say was that when I had transferred money from my Checking account to my money-market account, I did what seemed like "real life" and chose Type = "Transfer", used the checking as "origin account" and my money market account as "target account".

iCash added the amount to my money market account, but it didn't subtract it from my checking account.

My checking account, I've realized, had a blue dot by the transaction - like a deposit - and black numbers instead of red or blue - if that's helpful.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
iCash always remove money from origin account before adding it to target account, are you sure the amount is not subsctracted? Also, have you run the Data checking tool? What does it say?

Rose

transferring $

Well, I ran the data check and everything passed. The $1000 was added to my savings acct. And still the initial $1000 that should have been taken out of my checking account continued to show up with the blue dot and in black writing - and was treated as a deposit when I added up the transactions and checked the totals....

:evil:

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Are you looking that information in the Overview panel? Overview panel has no blue dots. Don't use the Transaction panel to check account balances. The transaction panel is only for editing transactions.

Rose

Yes, I am looking at my overview panel right now. I repeated the transaction and the $1000 was once again added to my Savings account but both in the overview panel (i.e. the transactions below the checking account), and in the transactions panel, there is a blue dot on the left side and in the amount is written in black. And it is handled as a deposit (i.e. added to mySavings account, but, instead of being subtracted from my checking, it is added.) Which is shown in the top of the overview panel as well.

I even did a query of that period so I could check totals for that period, and exactly the same results. Did data check with the same results.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Please open a support ticket, I will then give you an address so you can send your file.

Rose

transferring funds

Hi. I've had an emergency come up that I have to deal with, but when I get back I will do so. Thanks