iCash Mobile Strategy

iCash Mobile App

• should mimic iCash's functionality as far as it makes sense on a Smartphone or tablet

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • should display all transactions of the last 12 months and fully synchronise with desktop app

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • needs at least to have graphs, multiple bank accounts, assets, loan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • does not need the above, only needs one-click expenses mainly for tracking cash (spend and ATM) and

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • needs to efficiently import into iCash, i.e. saved account mappings, defaults for empty fields, curr

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

Torsten

Since the last topic on iPhone diverted into a (positively resolved) Linux discussion, I thought I'll throw a couple of additional thoughts.

Stanbusk explained that porting iCash to iOS is difficult and time consuming and I agree it might not be the best use of developers time given the nature and the complexity of how iCash supports personal financial controlling.

It is noticeable that I found only one topic about an iPhone client. This might lead to the assumption that the real pressure in the user community is actually not that high. But: There are so many Personal Finance mobile Apps on the market, having a rather large user base that there seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

I would like to understand where and why and maybe find a direction for the best mobile strategy for iCash.

Possible reasons from my view are
  1. The typical iCash user needs lots of functionality that would overwhelm a mobile app
  2. If you have more than 3 bank/savings accounts, loans, assets and projects you just need a Mac/PC application and a big screen
  3. Properly tracking personal finances requires you to sit down and think. Not compatible to the situation in a coffee shop after you've spent 2 Euro cash on a Cappuccino.

From my view, I think Maxprog should go with a simple mobile app, mainly tracking cash spend, and make this app's exports efficiently importing into iCash desktop. The closest app to this is MoneyBook, which I use and am very happy with. If MaxProg decides to cooperate with MoneyBook, this could create a win-win situation for all.

What's everyone's take on this? See poll on top.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
That is it. A clone of iCash on an iPhone is simply unrealistic. I agree, it should be what you describe.

Jade

I agree, something basic that tracks mainly cash related things.

I hope it would handle both expenses and receipts (e.g. that are not going to be deposited to the bank such as a friend repaying the $10. he owes you; small cash sales such as a farmer delivering a few dozen eggs).

I presonally don't use the scheduling feature on ICash, but for those who do, it would likely be nice if they could see (even if it was just a list) of upcoming expenses/deposits to help ensure you don't get over drawn by forgetting you've scheduled something to be paid.

I would like it to synch to icash for sure. It would make tracking cash so much easier. I have both an IPod and and IPhone and would certainly use this type of app. Thanks.

saxonx

All I really want to see on the iphone is account balances and the ability to enter any spends made on the move - in any account - I'm not interested in tables/graphs/reports etc