iCash - First impressions

Harry

I have just moved to a Mac and have ported the data from Quicken on Windows to iCash on the Mac.

Moving the data from Quicken for Windows [with no apparent export to Qif facility on my version of Quicken] to iCash was difficult but I am satisfied with the result.
Perhaps others would have done it more easily and then again the data does cover a number of years.

If I was doing it again I would particularly appreciate a query in iCash that detects probable duplicates because I had plenty of them.
Something that detects transactions with the same date, origin, destination, amount and memo [all of those things].
I found them after much searching.

In moving to the Mac I tried a few other Mac programs but I believe iCash compares very well.

Do I think iCash is perfect? No I don't.
I t seems to me however that the designers/programmers are attentive to the needs and wishes of the user base and that augers well for the continued development of the program.

The things that I liked about Quicken [for Windows] which do not seem to be in iCash include:

The ability to click on a Category or Payee and immediately generate an all-dates report that can then be subtotalled by Payee or period [Week, Month, Quarter or Annual].

The ability to select multiple transactions and batch change the Payee, Category, Account or memo fields. I want to do this now but there are simply too many transactions to being doing that individually.

The ability to automatically [or manually - with an Enter Now button] enter scheduled transactions X no of days ahead of schedule whilst maintaining the scheduled date as distinct from the date of entry. I find this to be particularly valuable for short term planning and analysis. There are thus 2 Account Balances - one for today and one immediately after the last pre-entered transaction. Even better would be the ability also to click on a transaction between today and the last pre-entered transaction and see what the Account balance would be at that point. I guess I miss the running balance provided by Quicken and MS Money!

Having said all that may I say that I think that is a lot to like about iCash and I quite enjoy using it.

May the user base continue to grow and the developers continue to improve the product.

H.