How to Adjust An Account Balance

Jade

I use my CASH account as a catch all account. It does contain cash purchases I have to track, as well as any transfers to accounts not used in my ICASH file. For instance, if I transfer money to my kids accounts which aren't tracked in this software, I just make the transfer from my bank account to my cash account. This results in a very fictitious and unusable balance in my cash account.

In my old software, I did a year end adjustment entry which allowed me to bring the balance to 0 by debiting and crediting cash for the same amount. (I could either create an entry or there was an menu option which said ADJUST ACCOUNT BALANCE). The reason I did this is so that my balance sheet and account balance reports didn't look out of whack because of my catchall account. However, I can't create an in and out balancing entry using CASH for both target and origin accounts. (I understand why it works that way).

However, what process should I use to accomplish basically the same thing in ICash. Maybe I should be using a different type of account or a different method?

I noticed that the ACCOUNT PANEL has an option (A) beside each account. You can uncheck this and then the account shows up on the overview panel with the colour lightened, but the totals still show up in the overall total(s). I looked in the ICASH manual but couldn't find out exactly what (un)checking the (A) in the account panel actually does. Would you please explain (or point me to the explanation).

My ultimate goal is to be able to have an account of some sort I can "dump" transactions into, and then ensure that the account is either adusted to have a 0 balance when necessary for reporting, OR to be able to hide that account in lists/reports. If not an account, some method of dealing with these types of transactions.

As always, thanks for your help. :? :(

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Create you adjustment account of type 'Startup'. All transaction from/to this account goes to a black hole :)