Have installed successfully, now making no progress...

KML-Lex

Hello,

I was able to install MLM manually via FTP. Had to ask IT to change the folder permissions as I didn't have that type of access, but they changed it to 777. If I FTP a .txt list into the folder on the server, it shows up in MBM, but I'm not able to upload new lists through MBM - I get this error:

No recipients have been uploaded to the remote list 'list'. Check your list and try again.

Make sure your list contains at least the "First name', "Last name", "Company" and "Email Address" columns in this order delimited by tabs. They can all be empty except the "Email Address" column.

(The list is in the format specified.)

If I try to subscribe myself to a list using a browser, or upload a list, add to one, etc., I get this message:

Error - Server problem when reading list. Impossible to save request likely because the requests folder has wrong permissions, should be 0777

But, the folder permission is 777. I am at a loss as to what to try next - have been messing with it for a couple of days. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

I've been using MBM (v 7.8 ) for a while now with no problem, we just want to add the extra MLM functionality.

Thank you,
Stacy

KML-Lex

I have requested IT to give me permissions to change that, or change it for me ( which they didn't seem to excited to do ). That was the only thing I could think of after reading through the forum. I'll wait until they get around to my request and see if that is the problem before I ask any more questions.

Thank you for your help,
Stacy

KML-Lex

I heard back from IT and they asked if there were different steps to take if working with a Windows based server.

I tried changing the folder permissions using an FTP client on my mac and also a PC, but was unable to do so either. IT says what you have told me to try and what I've been trying to do, (changing to 755 or 775) is a Unix-based command which won't work with their Windows server...

The errors I get when trying to subscribe or unsubcribe, etc. seem to be server errors. The server stuff is a little over my head so please let me know what information I can give you to make sense of this.

Thanks,
Stacy

KML-Lex

The URL is http://www.kaba-mas.com/public/lm/lm.php, and the error message I'm getting when trying to upload a list or add a recipient to the lists that have been FTPd is Error - Server problem when reading list. Impossible to save request likely because the requests folder has wrong permissions, should be 0777

If I try to upload a list through MBM I get a message saying the list format is wrong and to check the list and try again...but the list appears to be correctly formatted to me. I can see the lists that are there through MBM.

If I understand the IT guy correctly he is saying he can't go into his Windows server and change permissions on that specific folder so he's set the overall access to full access (777). I don't know enough about Windows servers to argue with him.

Thanks,
Stacy

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
There is indeed a privileges problem with either the 'lm' folder or the 'requests' folder. What are right now the privileges for those two folders?

KML-Lex

OK, I created the requests folder inside the lm folder, but still got the same error message when trying to add a recipient to a list.

Additionally, when I try to unsubscribe using a link in a test email I sent myself, I get a slightly different server error message:

We're sorry, but the cancellation of your subscription to list 'TestList2' has failed due to a server error. Please wait a while and try again. If the problem persists please contact us at [email protected].

Error opening lists/TestList2.txt

KML-Lex

I am using text files because I'm not familiar with mySQL...but if you think that would help I can start going in that direction.

KML-Lex

I just checked and apparently we don't run mySQL on the server, I'm sorry to say. We used to on an old server and that's what made me think it might work. He said they don't support anything mySQL because there is no DBA for it, only MS SQL.

Is it possible I have something wrong in the lm_settings file? Here is the text:

// -- Your email address, name and web address ---------------------------------

$admin_err_addr = "[email protected]"; // The address where internal error notifications has to be sent
$admin_address = "[email protected]"; // The administrator email address
$admin_name_full = "Kaba_Mas"; // Your name or you company/organization name
$admin_name_short = "KML"; // Short version of you name or you company/organization name
$admin_webAddress = "http://www.kaba-mas.com"; // Your web site address (http://www.mysite.com)

// -- Storage Type -------------------------------------------------------------

$use_mysql = 0; // 1 = Raw Text files 0 = mySQL Database

// -- mySQL List/Stats Handling Settings ---------------------------------------
// Set the following parameters if you have selected to use mySQL above

$dbhost = 'MYSQL_SERVER_ADDRESS'; // mySQL Host Name (if you need to set the port add :portnum)
$dbusername = 'USER_ID'; // mySQL User Name (For Full access!!)
$dbuserpass = 'PASSWORD'; // mySQL User Password (For Full access!!)
$dbname = 'DATABASE_NAME'; // mySQL Database Name

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Your settings are absolutely correct. Do you have a special folder on your server for CGIs? Have you tried to install MLM in it?

KML-Lex

We do not have a CGI folder on our server.

I think I'm going to try to install MLM on a different server outside the building just as a test. A lot of times things won't work here because they've got it so locked down. If I can get it to run without errors outside at least I can go to IT and see what they can do, if anything.

Thanks!

KML-Lex

Well, I was able to manually install MLM on a different server and can now access everything through a browser successfully; edit lists, subscription requests, etc. But when I try to access the remote lists through MBM now, I get a "The URL is not valid" error. I've changed the URL in MBM preferences to the new one. Is there somewhere else I should check?