gmail conversion by ISP fries our universe

bennetthall

Previously, we had a variety of problems with our ISP, even after verifying that we were on the "white list" - more or less got th eMax Pro to work.

We have now hit a brick wall, thick and solid, made my google, and it has shut us down again - thwarted our commerce as the perfect storm melts down the US economy further - not fun

We would appreciate any thoughts on how to bore through the google wall

However, they regretfully shifted to a GMAIL server yesterday - and that was the end of life as we know it. Nothing but problems with settings and emails - including PC and MAC clients in general

In trying to get Max Pro to send - even a single test email is rejected by the Gmail "Gods". the ISP tech manager has tried to blame Max Pro as the source of my problems, but he is IMHO a buck passer, overstressed by his companies poor decisions.

Point is that Max Pro worked the day before, but not AFTER the shift to the Gmail Orwellian Server "Upgrade"

Anyway - my questions is - as I do not want to throw away the program:

What settings are compatible for Gmail?

1) SMTP Host - Authenticaed or Not??
If authenticated - what Version?

2) Authentification: ESMTP, POP, APOP

3) Log In: Plain or MDs challenge

Other than this - I can see no other settings that can affect my ability to use the Max Pro

PS - sounds like we have to be careful even using the verify utility to check for bad addresses - though most of ours are corporate - not that silly hotmail antique program...

Best

Bennett

bennetthall

Gmail settings - continuing problems

we are continuing to have problems sending emails - sporadic, and requires multiple resends.

Do you know the SSL level we should use?
We have tried all different versions, but with no real improvement yet.

Anything else you can think of? We tried everything in your article.

Also, is it safer to send singly than in groups of 50?

How do we set the outgoing PORT number? It is 465 according to our ISP that uses gmail. Must we do anything differently, as you suggest in your article?

Thanks, Bennett

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
As far as I know Gmail supports 'TLS v1'. You have to keep the 'Singly' option checked and set a group.

To change the port just write it after the SMTP address separated with a colon, example: ':587'. In the case of 465, this is SSL default port. If you select TLSv1 you will automatically use port 465.

bennetthall

Thanks - the SSL setting works better, but we are still getting problems with our tests to known email addresses - lots of failed ones, which do send when tried again. Any further thoughts?

Another problem is that the "from" email address does not show correctly - it displays as the gmail user address (not the one we are wanting to display).
(this used to work fine when our ISP did not use Gmail servers).
The "reply-to" is good. Is there a way to fix this? We want our business email address to show correctly to recipients, not the gmail username.

Thanks again, Bennett

bennetthall

"from" field: [email protected]
this is different to the username - [email protected] (dslextreme is our ISP, using gmail servers now - they changed over 2 weeks ago)
When the email is sent, the recipient sees [email protected]
When they hit reply, the correct "reply to" email address of [email protected] shows.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the changes our ISP made, as everything was fine previously - back then, the username was bennetth, without the rest of the email address.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like your ISP or server is changing the from address. I find this a bit weird. Have you contacted them?