Excluding certain accounts

Tom

Sorry if this had been adressed before but I was not able to find anything using the search or help function.

What I try to figure out is how I can exclude some accounts from showing up in the total balance sheet.

Why?

Because I have some accounts which do not belong to me but occasionally I am transfering money from and to them from my accounts.

Therefor they should not be included in the totals since either a positive nor negative balance is not related to my own balance.

Thanks in advance
Tom

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
The only way is to deactivate them. To do that right-click the account and select 'Deactivate'. Then right-click again and select 'Hide Deactivated Accounts'. Note that deactivated accounts will be deactivated everywhere in iCash. If you need to use a deactivated account in a transaction in the future you will need to activate it back first.

Tom

Okay that sounds not too bad since I would not need the accounts on a regular base.

One more question:
If you say that a deactivated account will be deactivated everywhere in iCash, that does not affect the transactions in active accounts which happened before deactivation, right?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
It only affects display in given part of iCash actually. A deactivated account is not visible in the transaction panel account pull-down menus for example. It doesn't affect transactions per se however if you select a transaction that uses a deactivated account, iCash will tell you. Transactions with deactivated accounts are like any other transaction.

Tom

Stan,

I just tried to see if deactivating accounts will lead to what I am looking for - it seems it does not.

I added 2 screenshots.

The 1st shows all accounts activated and a total balance total at the top of all accounts.

For the 2nd screenshot I deactivated one account.
While it gets greyed out the total balance at the top still includes the value of the deactivated account.
(Compare to screenshot #1)

Can this be changed?
It does not make sense to exclude (deactivate) one or more accounts but still add the value to all active accounts!

Thanks in advance
Tom

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
You have to right click-click your list and select 'Hide Deactivated Accounts'. Then the total will not add deactivated accounts.

Tom

Stan, sorry but that is not working here !

Please have a look at the screenshot, and compare the last digits with the other two from yesterday.

Still showing the same total amount.
The amount is the total of all accounts created.
No matter one account is deactivated, or deactivated and hidden which I did like you suggested.

Any ideas?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I was talking of totals in the list. Outside totals are global and indeed include deactivated accounts. A deactivated account is most of the time an account that has been used so you can't remove it from global totals. Deactivated means hidden, not deleted. You deactivate an account because you may not use it again for a long period, as a result your account lists are smaller. Account deactivation is a display feature.

Tom

Ah that´s not good !
Would it be much hassle to get a checkbox like the screencapture from my old financial software shows?
I deleted the name of the software so I won´t advertise something which is out of date :)

Tom

Stan,

is it possible to get a checkbox where we can truly exclude accounts from the grand total ?

TIA
Tom

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you can set that from the iCash preferences, second panel, 'Document', below 'General'.

Tom

Wow, is that a new feature added for the latest update ?
I did not see that function before !

Tom

Stan,

that´s basically exactly what I was looking for,
BUT only bank accounts are listed and no Assets or Portfolio accounts.

Let´s say I have a property as an asset.
While it is an asset I do not want it included in my total balance.

Let´s say I have a stock or precious metal portfolio.
Same here, while it is an asset I would like to exclude it from my total balance.

Do you think we could get ALL accounts listed in the Preferences->Documents panel to in - or exclude them in the total balance?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Right now what is displayed is the cash balance, only bank accounts are used, only bank accounts are listed and only bank accounts can be included or excluded. What you want is the modify what the iCash balance represents adding property accounts to it, right?

Tom

I attach a screen shot.

The big red box covers all accounts, portfolios, assets etc.
The total value of all accounts from the big red box is shown as total balance in the upper small red box.
So the total balance represents my actual overall net worth.

In the preferences menue I can in- or exclude only bank accounts in the green box.
Excluding one from the preferences menue does reduce the total balance in the upper red box.

If I have assets accounts, i.e cars and properties, or portfolio accounts, i.e silver and bonds I cannot exclude them from the preferences menue, therefor their amounts are always included in the total balance in the upper red box.

But while assets like cars, properties, metals, bonds do represent a value it makes really sense being able to in- or exclude them from the total balance since they are not money before you sell them.

Including all accounts in the preferences->document dropbox and being able to in- or exclude each of them would make it easy to see the total balance i.e of all portfolio accounts because I could only check those. The same goes for other asset classes and of course like it is now for the cash=bank accounts. It would be kind of sorting various account types.

Sorry for my bad english but I hope I could explain why this feature would be a nice one and not only for me but for other customers as well.

Tom

No need to hurry, whenever you find the time it will be great and much appreciated !

Thanks again !

Tom

Wow cool !

So that means when the next official update is going out the feature is included?

Any estimates when this will be ?

Have a nice evening! :)