email settings question

lesplan

HI Stan (et. al)

Just wondering if you could shed some light on an issue we are experiencing with a school District in Ontario, Canada.

We use MBM to notify our educational subscribers that a pdf file is available for them on our website. 

Pls see below re correspondence from Dufferin Peel Catholic District School Board which is vaporizing our emails. The tech person is telling me that there is a lot of residential mail on these servers (I don't understand why this is important) and that :

MX records for lesplan.com are different that the sending client IP.

Any info you can forward would be much appreciated. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Eric Wieczorek
LesPlan Educational Services Ltd.
638 Lambie Drive
Victoria, B.C. Canada

All the info below is copies of correspondence . . .

HI Eric,

I have sent two earlier emails – one English and one French. Can you please let me know if you received them OK?

I received the English version (which ranked at 57 (starting to get suspicious) okay but the French version as norm was ranked as probably spam at 99. 

what I'm wondering is why your system does not let us know that the email we have sent has been rejected. The message is just vaporized and neither the subscriber nor us knows that it did not go through. We receive error notices from other districts and schools that reject our emails and when we know, we can try to resend right away (which often works) or we can contact the teacher by fax or phone to try and figure out what the problem is. That way if there is an error with the email, for example the teacher gave us an incorrect email address, we can contact the school and obtain the correct information

Mail that gets rejected due to probably spam would never return an undeliverable as it would only indicate to a would be spammer that they had a valid address.  If mail is rejected because of a bad address, you would have been notified.

We are not seeing your mail coming from shawmail.glb.shawcable.net (64.59.136.142) but from
idcmail-mo2no.shaw.ca (64.59.134.9)
idcmail-mo1so.shaw.ca (24.71.223.10)
You may want to verify with them if this is correct behaviour.  We do see a great deal of residential mail coming from those mail servers though.

Regards,

Hi again Kathryn

Here is the email I received from Shaw re new settings. I think its pretty self explanatory. From what I can tell, we do have a business account with Shaw. 

I have sent two earlier emails – one English and one French. Can you please let me know if you received them OK? These are the types of notifications that we send out each month during the school year to subscribing schools and teachers. 

One other question — what I'm wondering is why your system does not let us know that the email we have sent has been rejected. The message is just vaporized and neither the subscriber nor us knows that it did not go through. 

We receive error notices from other districts and schools that reject our emails and when we know, we can try to resend right away (which often works) or we can contact the teacher by fax or phone to try and figure out what the problem is. That way if there is an error with the email, for example the teacher gave us an incorrect email address, we can contact the school and obtain the correct information. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Wieczorek
LesPlan Educational Services Ltd.
638 Lambie Drive
Victoria, B.C. V8Z 2L8

Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 20:28:30 +0000
To: LesPlan <[email protected]>
Cc: Shaw Business - Vancouver Help <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: eCare Email Submission #3

Hello Eric,

First of all, let us apologize for our late response. Secondly, please change your SMTP server from mail.shawcable.com to shawmail.glb.shawcable.net. The new SMTP server will allow you to send 1000 emails per hour. In case, if you need to send more emails than our server allows, please contact your domain/email hosting company for an authenticated SMTP server on port other than 25.

For futures question or concern, email us directly at [email protected] or contact us at 1-877-Shaw-Biz.

Thank you,