Email addresses with accent marks

thingmaker

Hello, I have Excel list with many email addresses, first and last names. If I
- save the file as Text from Excel,
- Then in MBM, create a new recipient list,
- then import as 'Text File' into MBM: Text encoding: None

I can see the accent marks correctly on first and last names but when I preview them, the letters with accent marks show up as black diamonds with question marks inside of them.

If I import as 'Text File' Text Encoding: ISO-8859-1 Europe/US/Africa, I get just a question mark.

If I import as Text Encoding: US-ASCII, UTF 8 or UTF 16, I only see a blank page in Preview view for the addresses with accent marks.

Can someone please explain the correct procedure regarding sending to people with accent marks in their name? Thanks. -Derryl

thingmaker

<<When you preview your message what encoding are you using on the message?>>

When I click on the 'Preview' tab I see no options for encoding. If you mean under Preferences, I have ISO-8859-1 EU/US/Africa selected under the Document tab and Automatic Encoding selected under the Delivery tab.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
What format are you using for your message? Is it HTML, Styled Text or Plain Text? The encoding setting for the message is right below the format pull-down menu. If your recipients are displayed ok in the recipient list, they should display properly in the preview except if the encoding setting is wrong.

thingmaker

I don't know which 'Format tab' you are referring to. There is one under the Message tab to the right and there is one under Preferences and they both work independently of each other.

Regardless, I tried all 5 settings under Preferences [Plain Text, Text|HTML, HTML Only, Web page and Styled Text] and in every case I still had the black diamonds with question marks when viewing in the Preview tab even though the characters are clearly visible in the Recipient list.

Choosing anything except Text|HTML or HTML Only in the Message tab doesn't show an accurate preview at all.

Can you provide an example of the correct settings to use for sending out HTML emails with accent marks that will show a correct preview? I have spend hours testing and have not found it. Thanks.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
There is no correct setting, only the settings you choose. You could start with selecting 'Plain Text' as the message format and 'iso-8859-1' as the encoding. You can choose the encoding right below the message format pull-down menu. No needs to enter the preferences for that.