Credit cards: Liabilities/Expenses 1

alleyCat

I use my credit cards as one would a cheque: the full amount is paid each month.
1. How do I set up the Accounts so that Transactions from Credit card to X is neutral and payment of Credit card statement (Bank to CC) is a debit?
Thanks.

alleyCat

I checked 'How to input loan transactions' and I don't see how that answers my question.
In my understanding, transactions originating in CC (to be paid at the end of the month, no interest charged) should appear 'neutral' . The monthly statement sent by the credit card company would include that transaction in its total, that would be an Expense.
But at present both entries show a red dot, label 'expense'!
I explained above how I set up the accounts.
I'm still puzzled.
???

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I guess you are not using the right account types for your transaction. Could you write below the the two transactions you have done and tell me what type each account belongs to?

Allin

Hi, alley.
Will you share something about the two transactions you have done, because without knowing full matter how can i will help you.

alleyCat

I use two Credit cards, both Mastercard (MCAB & MCHGr) but attached to different banks. Both are paid fully at the end of each month, meaning I use them as I would a check. They are set up as Type : Liability / Category : credit card. They appear with a yellow dot in the Accounts listing. One Bank is Checking, the other Savings Acc. though both function as a checking accounts.

1. I enter the amount charged to the credit card as follows:
Transaction Type : card payment or transfer or direct billing;
Origin Account : the Credit card
Target Account : category of expense involved

2. When the monthly statement arrives, I enter as follows:
Transaction Type : transfer or direct billing
Origin Account : the Bank
Target Account : the Credit card

I would expect 1. to be a neutral transaction and 2. an expense.
They both register as Expense (red dots), therefore falsifying the end result: an overdraft when there is none.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
What you are doing is correct. The transactions both appear with a red ball because they are both moving money out of your bank account or your card credit. First you pay something with a credit card and then you refund the credit card. Colors have nothing to do with final results actually. You should end with a balance of 0 on your credit card. It is explained here: Managing Credit cards.