Bulk mailing an html announcement

peterpica

I'm bulk mailing html-based advertisements. I'd like to have an announcement PRECEDING my html code in the body of the bulk mailer message advising readers that if their mail client can't read the html rendered message below, that they can "click on the following URL" that will take them to the same advertisement, but through their web browser.

Can do? If so, how? :?:

peterpica

Response

StanBusk:

Because I just tried it.

I typed in the message BEFORE the html code, previewed it in MaxP and it didn't appear; then actually sent the mail to myself as a test and it wasn't there.

Am I doing something wrong?

Here's what I did in the body of my MaxP message with the format set to text/html:

TESTING TESTING TESTING
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=Content-Typ..........

etc. etc.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
The text only appear if you use a software that doesn't support HTML of course. Using Mac OS X Mail you can use the 'View->Message->Plain Text Alternative' to see that message. I haven't found a similar menu in Vista nor XP outlook yet.

peterpica

A-HAH!

What can I say other than double-doah or as my girls used to say in grammar school... "ga-doy!"

Thank you very much for your help & solution.

Hava grate dey 2!

zmurman

Similar Issue

Similar issue, but I want the text to show up no matter what browser is used. I want to "personalize" the message with a "Dear [firstname] tag and then have the html formatted below that. As with Peterpica's issue, the text disappears on a browser dependent basis.

I am easily able to add text and html using my email client (Mozilla) but of course this doesn't allow for a blast.

TIA!

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
This is not possible actually. You have to use your text with your tags inside the HTML code. A mail reader will never show both the text and the HTML.

zmurman

Right you are! I looked at the email code and apparently Mozilla mail took the message I typed into the message body and turned it into html before sending.

Is there a mac email client you would recommend that I can get that will not work with html so I can test future efforts using the "If you can't read this email, click here..." option that will be typed into MBM before sending?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Simply use Mac Mail. It has a menu under 'View->Message' that lets you display all alternatives. It is really handy!