Bounce Handler Uses Memory Out of Control

dpdexter

Does anyone else have this problem? Bounce Hander is currently using 741.5 MB of Real Memory and 3.15 GIGS of Virtual Memory. I shouldn't need a super computer to run this application. That is insane!

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
eMail Bounce handler just uses 19.41 Mb here. This is strange. Have you tried to reboot your computer?

pickleguy

dpdexter said:
EBH v. 3.5
Apple OS 10.5.2

Same thing with me.
Using Mac OSX 10.5.5
Bounce Handler 3.5.1

I have to save every 2000 emails or else it will just shut down.
I've also noticed that my HDD space reduces huge when using this application.

Any fixes out there?

nieK

Hi there,

even if the topic is a bit old.

We do have the same problem. Our workaround is to delete the protocol regularly. I mean the protocol which is beeing produced while the bounce handler checks the inbox. Seems to me that he writes all the protocol down in the memory. Because, after deleting the protocol there is no further problem with the memory.

Would be great to have a option where you can deactivate it.... I see that our version is a bit old. I'll install the new version and see if the problem exists further more...

Greetings!

nieK

Hi there!

The problem is still the same.

The BounceHandler is still writing the log into the memory. At least that is what it seems to me.

Isn't it possible to introduce an option which block the writing of the logfile? I do not really use the log quite often and so I could just check the option not to log it during daily business.

Kind regards!

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Actually eMail Bounce handler doesn't keep the log file into memory as far as I know. I will have a look anyway.

srelan

same mem problem here, crashes everytime

on very big numbers of emails to grab from a mail account it eventually runs out of memory and crashes. Everytime. I know the log is there BUT I have many different mail accounts/Bouncehandler files yet there is only one log so no way for me to segment which list the entries belong to for me to recover. So basically for me there is no way to recover any downloaded bounces since the last file save if it crashes.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Note that bounce lists are always saved to the '~/Library/Application Support/Maxprog/Email Bounce Handler/Bounce Lists' folder. If eMail Bounce Handler crashes you can launch it again and drop the last file to it.

srelan

BUT, if you have multiple Bouncehandler files tracking for different mail domains/accounts, I can't see where it is possible to recover from your suggested logfile because that is from everything it bounced that day (not separated by Bouncehandler file. If I've got 4 files that have been retrieving bounces during the day but one of them crashes, the recovery you suggest would add emails to the crashed file that were not part of the bulk mail delivery.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed. This system only works if you are using one document at a time. Bad design.