Analysis of project spend

Paul D

I'm using Projects to split up various DIY projects costs. under my "DIY" account.
This means I can set a Budget value against all the DIY tasks, but still keep track of what I am spending on each DIY project.

I can identify the different DIY projects under Queries and Reports.

But I cannot separate out these projects under Charts (or Statistics).

Is there a way to do this, or is this just a limitation of projects?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
It is not supported but it could be, I can open a feature request if you wish. Project support for charts and statistics.

Paul D

That would be great.

I did think of an alternative : I could break down the DIY projects into their own accounts under a common DIY category.
BUT this would only work if iCash could allow you to set Budget at Category level instead of just account level.
Of course users would have to select whether they wanted to run their Budgets at account or category level.

Both options would be great additions to the product.
This also allows you to choose which of the changes are easier to implement.

Thanks

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Do you mean listing only categories in the Budget panel? and only set category values?

Paul D

Yes.
I was thinking of a Category/Account level option for each Budget.

This would allow you to set up a high level category level budget, and then use other budgets with account level details to drill down as needed.

If this option is held for each Budget rather than at a system level), then people may even want to use a mix of both levels of Budgets - eg:
A Total Spend category level Budget (including household spend, disposable income, etc) to control all their money.
Then have an account level Budget called Disposable Income to better manage those expenses that they have more choice over.