Able to split transactions

pila

stanbusk said:
Split was added 4 years ago. It is the 'Transaction| Group' menu.

I don't think this is what we mean.
The"spilt " option saves a lot of work.

Example :
In the transaction panel at the bottom we fill in ,date , chq number, bank
and then Target. Lets say the cheque is half for Work and half for private.
Target: Work, name of payee and then $50.00 (although the cheque is for $100.00). next to the amount box should be an option to check "split".
When you tick the box, a second row comes up with automatic filled in the information from row 1, except the target. If you fill in the amount and it still doesn't come up to $100.00, a third row comes up automatically with the remaining dollars and you can choose an other target account.
When I used Gnucash , I used that all the time.
I don't think we have this option right now , at least I cannot find it.

Pila

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand. Why can't you do that with iCash? Insert your transactions and group them. It is exactly the same. Have you tried?

pila

stanbusk said:
I don't understand. Why can't you do that with iCash? Insert your transactions and group them. It is exactly the same. Have you tried?

When using iCash you have to start from scratch again for every (part) transaction: fill in the date, cheque number etc while other programs with a split option fill in this information automatically for you.
It certainly is not the same.

Pila

cs

pila said:
stanbusk said:

When using iCash you have to start from scratch again for every (part) transaction: fill in the date, cheque number etc while other programs with a split option fill in this information automatically for you.
It certainly is not the same.

No you don't.
You just mark the transaction you just wrote, so that you see all it's content in the add/edit fields. Then you just change whatever you want to change (as in this case the payee, and sum) and click "Add".
This is how you re-use EVERY transaction you write without having to write everything over and over again.

Even if it is not the same as your "split" – witch I would actually perfer myself.
But then, you can't have everything. :)