1-Click Unsubscribe

cmonkey

I have installed MLM. I have a remote list uploaded and accessible. I have an "unsubscribe" link in my e-mail message. What code do I put in the link so the "e-mail" variable is replaced with the e-mail address of the recipient of that message?

This link is universal on all e-mail messages:
<a href="http://www.condommonkey.com/assets/lm/lm.php?cmd=unsubscribe&email=email_addr">Unsubscribe</a>

Can the code 'email_addr' be replaced with something that pulls the e-mail address from the recipient?

I want the recipient to click "unsubscribe" and have their e-mail address flagged, or removed from my remote list. Without the recipient having to input their own e-mail address or name.

kev

If you are using the unsubscribe tag, if a list subscriber clicks it, they get automatically removed from the list they are on.

asta

Re:

kev said:
If you are using the unsubscribe tag, if a list subscriber clicks it, they get automatically removed from the list they are on.

No it doesn't, at least not for me

Using the string:

<a href="http://****.com/lm/lm.php?cmd=unsubscribe&list=***&email=email_addr&lang=en">unsubscribe</a></span></p>

I get:

Error: Email address not found

We're sorry, but the email address 'email_addr' has not been found in the list '****'. Check the address and try again. If you think this is an error please contact us . . .

And yes if I enter the unsubcription string with the actual email address it works. And no it doesn't work with &pwd=*** either.

So, is there a way to do one-click unsubscriptions or do i have to send the user to webpage to enter his info?

asta

If I use:

<div id="PageDiv" style="position:relative; min-height:100%">
<div id="item1" style="position:absolute; left:34px; top:79px; width:247px; height:118px; z-index:1; overflow:visible">
<p class="f-lp"><span class="style2">If you want to unsubscribe you can click [Unsubscribe] to be removed.</span></p>
</div>
</div>

The link appears in the messages, but when I click it I get this error:

We're sorry, but the list 'Remote Lists' can not be found on this server.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Could you create a new document from scratch until you can reproduce the problem and tell me the steps?

asta

Dropped the old table.
Imported a .txt file into MaxBulk.
Uploaded to MLM using action: overwrite.
This created the new table successfully.
Navigated to Remote Lists and accessed the newly created list on the server.
Created a test message with [Unsubscribe]
Sent the message to myself.
The message contained the link, which when clicked returned the error message above.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
That works fine for me. This is how I do it:

1.- I launch MaxBulk Mailer v7.7 on Mac OS 10.6.4, I select the Styled Text format from the format pull-down menu and I write '[Unsubscribe]' without quotes into the message field.

2.- I go to the 'Recipients' panel, I select 'Remote Lists' from the list pull-down menu, from the list of remote lists I check one of the them clicking on the checkbox on the left, the list then appear below, I select a couple of addresses.

3.- I go to the Preview, everything looks fine. I send the message and the Unsubscribe links get me to the right page with the right message. I mean, I get unsubscribed from the right list, the one I previously selected.

Are you doing something any different from that?

asta

I'm doing exactly that. I tried styled text and text. I tried adding [Unsubscribe] by hand and by using the tag pulldown menu.

My workaround is just to include a link to the subscribe/unsubscribe page in my html, so its not such a big deal that one-click unsubscription is not work, still . . .

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Weird. I have tried all the ways I could imagine so far. I always get the right Unsubscribe links. There is a bug somewhere for sure but I need to be able to reproduce the problem here first to know the exact conditions that lead to it.

Moxamint

I think the program was literally looking for a mailing list called 'Remote Lists'. I had the same problem. After I renamed my only remote list to 'Remote Lists', it worked. How weird.

asta

my completely uninformed guess is that the programming looks for "remote list" since that is the name used in the popup menu on the recipient pane in maxbulk.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Actually the software should not allow you to name your list 'Remote Lists' since it is a 'reserved word'. I will have a look at this.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
As soon as I can reproduce the problem here I will fix it. So far it has been impossible.

asta

what can those of us who have this issue do to help you reproduce it? what information do you need?

and is it possible for you to think through the possible causes/fixes for this issue without being able to reproduce it? this is not an isolated issue, but one shared by other users.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
what can those of us who have this issue do to help you reproduce it? what information do you need?
A detailed step by step procedure starting a document from scratch.
and is it possible for you to think through the possible causes/fixes for this issue without being able to reproduce it?
Do you really think I would ask for information if I would be able to fix the problem directly? Wouldn't it be better for me to fix the issue, avoid this conversation and spend my time in adding new great features to MaxBulk Mailer and MLM? When I get a bug report I immediately try to reproduce. If I can't, I ask for more data. If I am never able to reproduce I inspect the code, try to alter settings or use the software for things it has not been designed for deliberately. If after a given amount of time I am still unable to reproduce and the code looks ok I consider there is no such bug. Right now let say there is no such bug. Please prove me I am wrong.
this is not an isolated issue, but one shared by other users.
I got two reports out of 30k active users. This is a 0.006% incidence. In statistics we would say the problem doesn't exist. In computing I would say the problem is related to the machine, the user or a very particular setting.

Moxamint

stanbusk said:
Actually the software should not allow you to name your list 'Remote Lists' since it is a 'reserved word'. I will have a look at this.

I managed to name one of my remote lists as 'Remote Lists'. How can it happen if "Remote Lists" is a 'reserved word'? Thanks.

remotelists.jpg