Subject encoding bug

eliott

Hi!

I think I have found a bug in Maxbulk 5.6.6.
Whenever I try to send out mails with accented characters in the subject ?s appear to the recepient.

It seems that Maxbulk totally disregards the character encoding setting when it comes to subeject and it sends it out without any preprocessing (which it not standard compilant) probably somethink like this needs to be specified: =?iso-8859-2?Q? quted prtinable ?=

can you please suggest a workaround, we need to decide on a software urgently.

Regards
Eliott

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
MaxBulk already processes subject and encode accentuated characters as "=?iso-8859-2?Q? Quoted_Printable_Text ?=" but are you sure you are using the right encoding? iso-8859-2 is the eastern character set. Using a wrong encoding will cause the problem you describe.

eliott

I've just checked with the newsest version. while the from and to name are encoded correctly, the subject is just plain text. See the interesting parts below. it is from a view source gmail message.
To: =?UTF-8?Q?Tam=C3=A1s_?=<...>
Subject: h?rlev?l

Since we are in central europe I tried with iso8859-2 as well, but the result is the same.

eliott

however, when I create an quoted printable text myself and set it in the subject, the whole line goes out unaltered, so at the end the line displayed correctly

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand, we encode both the subject, from and to headers at the same time. Perhaps you have something wrong in your subject. Some control characters? I have tried here (again)

I set Subject to: "Résumé de noël"

I look at the message source on my mail reader and I get:

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=E9sum=E9_de_no=EBl?=

This is correct.

Anyway it would be interesting if you could open a support ticket and send us that message.

eliott

i tested it with iso8859-2 and it was ok.

not it works.. strage. sorry i don't know how to reproduce, but it happened repeatedly.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I would bet it was some kind of invisible control character. Did you paste the subject from some other application? A MS application?