nslookup returning wrong results

Ian Smith

When using the email verifier email address's with the suffix .co.uk .com .org .net all work fine. When an email suffix is .fr .de etc the nslookup doesn't see it as a qualified domain name and adds .co.uk to the lookup which returns a false result to the email verifier. I have been tried to use an external DNS as I am on a domain but when this is tried the external domain only sees our domain and also returns a false result. I am unsure of how to resolve this issue as the nslookup is doing what it's supposed to for an unqualified domain name. Is there anything that can be done to resolve this.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Please paste here what you get in the eMail Verifier console panel for one of those addresses.

Ian Smith

This is what appears in the console, although I know this is a valid email address.

[01] 12/1 11:27:47 MX <[email protected]> -> [[Error] MX record is empty.]

This is almost as if the verifier isn't making the domain lookup authoritative meaning nslookup tries to do it by itself. So the result will always come back as MX record empty.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Have you entered your DNS server address(es) in the eMail Verifier preferences?

Ian Smith

Yes, I have tried using our local DNS server and also tried using an external DNS server and always get the same result.

Ian Smith

I have already tried both and still get the same result of MX record empty. This only appears to happen where the suffic is only 2 characters. e.g. .ca .nl .fr .de

all .com .co.uk .org.uk .org etc all work as they should.

The DNS server response for the 2 character suffix is as follows for [email protected] :

Server: gateway-bt.wellingborough.bccmarketing.co.uk
Address: 192.168.1.20

anything.ca.co.uk
primary name server = ns1.above.com
responsible mail addr = hostmaster.trellian.com
serial = 2011120201
refresh = 10800 (3 hours)
retry = 3600 (1 hour)
expire = 604800 (7 days)
default TTL = 3600 (1 hour)

MattStruggle

That address works for me and I tested their MX Records. They are set up properly.

It might be an issue with the DNS servers your using, I had similar issues before with different hosting companies and their DNS would just time out.