MLM & web bugs

davidf

Stan:

After years of using MaxBulk Mailer without MLM, last month I decided to activate MLM. Shortly thereafter emails sent with certain features were blocked by CloudMark, a company handling email security for both Earthlink and NetworkSolutions. Tech Support at both Earthlink and NetworkSolutions were able to unblock some elements I was using in my emails. Too, Tech Support sent me suggestions to follow in order to avoid being blocked in the future. One of those suggestions was this: "When employing tracking pixels (Web bugs or beacons), clearly state their presence in your public privacy or P3P policies." In other words, if I use MLM I need to let the addressees know, and I need to do so in a public privacy or P3P policy.

I don't know how to do that ... yet. If you can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Too, please let me know if you think my failure to prepare a P3P policy may explain why my first use of MLM resulted in blocked emails.

I am still blocked from sending email that includes "mailto:[email protected]" in the body, whether it is plain text or a hyperlink. No one at Earthlink or NetworkSolutions could explain that, though both assured me that CloudMark was not blocking that element.

Have you got any ideas why a mailto link with that address would be blocked?

David

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I guess the P3P policy you are talking about is something you have to set on your web site using your hosting control panel. It is funny because P2P is supposed to be a system to control HTTP cookies, MLM doesn't use cookies for tracking al all. Tracking is done fetching a picture :-/ Did you read this page?

About messages blocked by your server because they contain "mailto:[email protected]" in the body, I am afraid only your server is able to respond, indeed it is the server that blocks the message. I would say they are likely running a spam filter and that spam filter doesn't like repetition like 'door2door2door'. My guess.

davidf

Stan:

I did some reading about P3P. I loaded Java 1.4.2 on to my PowerBook and used IBM's P3P Policy Editor to create an .xml policy page for my website. I gave the page the easy to find address recommended by W3C. I added a plain language Privacy Policy to the website. I added a Privacy Policy link to my emails pointing to the plain language Privacy Policy on the website. And now .... !

My problem is solved! Now my outgoing email can contain the name and/or links to my little website - door2door2door.org.

I am very happy!

David

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting the solution, I am sure it will help lots of people with the same problem.