MLM post-installation questions

pastover

I've successfully installed MLM (with MySQL), and have a few questions:

When I load a remote list into MaxBulk Mailer, there is no longer a direct link with the remote list? In other words, if I delete someone appearing in the list in MaxBulk Mailer, that deletion will not be reflected in the MySQL list? This is my assumption. So I've tried using the "Save" button, and then selecting "Update" in the following dialog, but the deleted person remains in the database on the server. Am I doing something wrong? Or does this mean the only way of editing the online database is through the browser interface.

Unsubscribe:
If I place the tag in the Signature field of the Settings pane, it displays a full URL in the received email (the URL is correct). Is there a way to get it to display just the tag, like it does if I insert it into the body of the email?

Also - if the recipient clicks the "Unsubscribe" link in the email, they get the confirmation page, but their record does not get deleted from the MySQL list. This seems pretty serious? If it is a permissions issue, shouldn't it at least give them an error? And, why aren't these deletions happening?

Other than that, the program seems great, and I'm looking forward to using something so easy and powerful, after years with PHPList.
Thanks!

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
When I load a remote list into MaxBulk Mailer, there is no longer a direct link with the remote list? In other words, if I delete someone appearing in the list in MaxBulk Mailer, that deletion will not be reflected in the MySQL list?
You have to use the 'Recipients > Upload to MLM' menu and select 'Overwrite' or how you currently do but no not select 'Update'.
Unsubscribe: If I place the tag in the Signature field of the Settings pane, it displays a full URL in the received email (the URL is correct). Is there a way to get it to display just the tag, like it does if I insert it into the body of the email?
If you want to see the alternative text instead of the link you have to insert the unsubscribe tag in the message itself, not the signature.
Also - if the recipient clicks the "Unsubscribe" link in the email, they get the confirmation page, but their record does not get deleted from the MySQL list. This seems pretty serious? If it is a permissions issue, shouldn't it at least give them an error? And, why aren't these deletions happening?
Look at the 'sqlqueue' folder on your server, inside the 'lm' folder. Are there any files? By default, MLM, instead of displaying an error to the subscriber, stores the failed mySQL requests to that folder and will try to send it to the server later.

pastover

Many thanks for your reply. Your answers explained the things I wasn't sure about (and after looking at the 'lm/Settings' file, I realized that I was working with the text list instead of mySQL, so I've corrected that, and my unsubscribes are working well.

I do have one more question - if I'm implementing custom subscribe/unsubscribe pages, what is the correct way to get form values (like an email address) to go into the lm script:
lm.php?cmd=subscribe&list=list1&email=email_addr

In this case, I have a single list so i can hard-code that, but how do I get the email value from the form to transfer to your lm script? Obviously, I'm not a programmer! Any help you can give is most welcome...
thanks!!

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I recommend you to look at the examples. They are in the 'lm/html/' folder. There are 5 examples of forms.