info vanished

lesplan

Hi - just wanted to pass along what just happened.

I opened a file with some 25 recipients, added one to the list and sent one email to that person. When I closed the file, I got a weird error message telling me that the file was in use (or something like that) but then the fil closed.

When I opened it again ALL 26 recipients had vanished -- but the letter was still OK.

I have never had this happen before and I use the program every day. . . (its a bit disconcerting.)

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
What was the exact error text?

It looks like an operating system error to me. If it was trying saving the file it could be caused by the file already opened. If it wasn't when trying to save the file it could be a low memory condition. It uses to be caused when your system has been up and running for a long time and memory is low. It is not usual though.

Anyway, MaxBulk Mailer has a list manager. Why don't you save your list using it and press the 'Save' button regularly? I think it is the best way to use the application. Adding recipients to a document only can be done of course but you should avoid it, it is a very bad habit.

lesplan

Anyway, MaxBulk Mailer has a list manager. Why don't you save your list using it and press the 'Save' button regularly? I think it is the best way to use the application. Adding recipients to a document only can be done of course but you should avoid it, it is a very bad habit.

HI Stan

Like I said, I have been using MBM for quite a number of months now and I quite like it (and the support and feedback if very impressive.)

I can't recall what the exact error code was -- but if it happens again, I will try and write it down. I don't think it is a low memory condition. I have 2 gigs of ram on my G5 tower (and I thought that OS X was supposed to get rid of OS 9 memory problems) . . .

As for the list manager suggestion, its just not feasable for us. We have 36 different recipient lists and each list gets a different cover letter. We have different products with different passwords in two languages . . .

We set up our system using Emerge a few years ago, and we need to have the list and the cover letter together in one file. This is what works for us.

Thanks again for your time.

Eric

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't reboot Mac OS X for a long period of time you will have some surprises. Menus calling wrong windows, wrong or scrambled Finder icons, wrong icons in Alerts (iTunes icon used in a Photoshop alert), files not appearing on Desktop...etc... I have seen all those effects myself after 2 or 3 weeks. Mac OS X gets ride of the memory allocation per application but a third party application can leak memory and let Mac OS X without it.

Anyway let me know if you get that error again and try to get as much info as possible.

By the way, the 'Send to Selected' menu you asked for will be included in next v5.2 in both main menu and list contextual menu.

lesplan

HI Stan

My computer shuts down every night, so the longest it goes is about 10 -12 hours.

Thanks for putting in the 'Send to Selected' feature. It will help me a lot. When do you think the new version will be available?

Eric

lesplan

it happened again

HI Stan

It just happened again -- I lost all of the recipient data again!!!.

I opened a file, did a search, found the one recipient I wanted, resent the email to that one person, and when I tried to save and close I got this message:

Error 104 Error Creating File!
File is in use

And when I opened the file again, all the recipient were GONE!!! This is NFG

Eric[/b]

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Error 104 is an operating system error. It is in fact a 'The file is in use' error. Are you saving the whole document right? I have tried to reproduce your steps here but it simply works for me. I open and save a document. I open again the document, add more recipient and save (cmd-S). I have tried several times so far. Just in case, have you tried to rebuild your disk permissions?

lesplan

HI Stan

I have repaired permissions (this is something I do once a month anyway)

I'll watch and see if it happens again.

Eric

lesplan

just happened again

Hi Stan

It just happened again. (and i just repaired permissions yesterday)

I opened up a file with 22 recipients, added one, sent that one an email, closed the file and got the error message on closing (and all 23 recipients were GONE!!!! when I re-opened the file)

This is very disconcerting. . . .

Eric

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Please open a support ticket, attach your file compressed and the exact steps so we can try to reproduce here.

lesplan

even more data lost

Hi again Stan. This is turning out to be a serious problem for me .

I sent emails to six data bases and two of them vanished after sending.

For the life of me I can't reproduce it -- it always seems to happen after I send the emails (when I'm closing the file) so I can't resend all of the emails. All I know for sure is that its happening and the data is GONE!!!

How do I open a support ticket?

Eric

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I have never seen this problem myself and I've never heard of any client having it. Furthermore MaxBulk Mailer uses Standard Mac OS X file handling. The error you get actually is an OS error. The only way to fix is to reproduce it here. Have you tried to open a new account on your system and try to reproduce? Perhaps your current account has an haxie that is interfering with file saving.