Feature exists?/request

nmcoed

After getting up to speed, I've been impressed with MaxBulk Mailer. I have a few questions about features that might exist, and if not, might be useful in future versions if you have time. These are just ideas as the tool is great now. If these have already been implemented, let me know.

(1) Wrap lines tool.

Does this already exist?

One of the features in Spam Assassin deals with line length. It would be nice if there was a tool that rewrapped a selection of plain text to a line length that the operator chose. I have seen two limits that seem important, one deals with SPAM, and is short, such as 70 or so characters. Another length seems to be a maximum line length a server will take (cold be outgoing or incoming). I ran into 500 character limit. This occurred in a section of HTML/TEXT email that was within the HTML and still wrapped nicely in my HTML editor. My point is that it would be good to have a line length that was quite variable.

(2) Multiple outgoing server support

Just by nature of having two ISPs (Qwest & Comcast) on a dual-WAN router, I have two outgoing email servers. I also manage numerous web sites and therefore have quite a few potential host email servers to access. It would be nice if I could set a particular message/list to go out multiple email servers at once. It seems only one is supported now unless I am not looking closely. This would just reduce the send time of a given message to a list.

Is this already a feature? Maybe ISPs detect this and shut down such traffic--I don't know.

If you did this, it would be nice to have a new section...a "server manager" where I could enter a number of potential outgoing email servers and therefore enter their information only once. Then in the area where you set up a message/list, you would only select the one or many servers you wanted to use via checkboxes or some other means.

Thanks!

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
There is a text wrap tool already. It only works when you are using the 'Plain Text' format though. It is the 'Message -> Rewrap Text' menu. Of course you have to select the text first. This function will rewrap to text to 72 characters per line. Is it what you are looking for?

You can already send thru multiple servers at once. You fisrt have to create all your server accounts and then select the 'Burst Mode' from the server pull-down menu. 'Burst Mode' is multi-server mode.

nmcoed

stanbusk said:
There is a text wrap tool already. It only works when you are using the 'Plain Text' format though. It is the 'Message -> Rewrap Text' menu. Of course you have to select the text first. This function will rewrap to text to 72 characters per line. Is it what you are looking for?

You can already send thru multiple servers at once. You fisrt have to create all your server accounts and then select the 'Burst Mode' from the server pull-down menu. 'Burst Mode' is multi-server mode.

As far as the text wrapping, that is close to what I was looking for, but not quite. I usually work in the Text/HTML mode so I have text followed by the <html></html> tags. I would like to be able to wrap to 72 chars in that message editor because (a) it would be good for the plain text, and (b) if one just copies text from your favorite HTML editor, sometimes lines are so long (such as 300+ chars) that they choke some SMTP servers. Wrapping the text within the <html> tags would prevent that. I suppose it would not just be wrapping to 72 chars, but perhaps after the right tags.

Concerning the burst mode, thanks for the note. That is another novice issue and I will try setting up burst.

On another topic, I've noticed that a lot of my ISPs and hosts have changed outgoing email policy from port 25 to 587 without notice. I am not sure why, maybe it is a filtering problem elsewhere, but it has caused issues with our business and now with sending out our customer notices.

Thanks for your reply.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Note that MaxBulk Mailer always sends your message as Quoted Printable. As a result absolutely all your text, whatever format you use, will be formed by 76-characters lines. You will never have problems with your SMTP server because of lines to long. I take note anyway of your request for the possibility to rewrap HTML text.

Port 25 is the standard SMTP port throughout the internet for both client-to-server and server-to-server connections. That could be considered a design error because it allows spammers to connect directly to each recipient server to deliver messages. As a result big ISPs have starting to block port 25. This measure simply prevents you to use your own SMTP server or a bulk mailer performing direct deliveries. Those ISPs in fact consider there own customers as potential spammers. This new situation has forced other servers to open an additional client-to-server port. It uses to be 2525 or 587.