BTW / VAT

Ton62

Till now I have used a regular bookkeeping prog. under Windows. This looks like a good replacement. However the "look & feel" are rather uncommon.

Especially on the point of VAT/BTW.

I am used to entering transactions in a journal (e.g. bankbook, incoming invoices, outgoing invoices, ....) and then entering a description, income/expense account, amount and VAT/BTW code. The amount is inclusive of the approriate VAT/BTW.

The booking is then doneu sing the amount excluding the VAT/BTW on the approriate inc/exp.account and the VAT is booked onto the designated VAT/BTW account.

I cnnot grasp how this exactly is done/works in iCash and would like some transaction exemples. For example it would help if someone could tell me ho to book the following transactions:

1.a Receipt of an invoice for telephone of €119,= of which €19,= is VAT/BTW (to be received from Taxoffice)
1.b Payment of said receipt.

Similar:

2.a Booking sold products total amount €238,= of which €28,= is VAT/BTW (to be paid to taxoffice)
2.b Booking of reveiving this bill by bank.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
There is an example here: VAT handling.

Note that iCash is more a Personal Finance application than a regular accounting software. It can be use for accounting though.

Ton62

stanbusk said:
There is an example here: VAT handling.

Note that iCash is more a Personal Finance application than a regular accounting software. It can be use for accounting though.
The exemple is a solution. However only when one waits until booking the transaction until after it has been paid and this is not acceptable for the tax department.

One could offcourse do similar while booking at the buy or sell moment. But it starts getting complicated. Do you have any plans to enable the more usual way of booking VAT transaction?

Other question. I have a Dutch system and I must say several translations (sorry to the translator) are just horrible (to put it mildly). Is there an easy way to alter these translation myself and (other question) see the original English terms?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Let me know an example, using iCash, of how VAT should be handled.

About Dutch typos, no problem, send a message to [email protected] with screenshots so we can find out where the wrong strings are located.

Ton62

stanbusk said:
Let me know an example, using iCash, of how VAT should be handled.

Using iCash is not possible for me since there are too many fields (in the transaction window) that are almost meaningless. I have tried to look at the English version but do not know how to activate that.

In principle it is very simple:

Receipt of an invoice:

Received invoice in amount of 580 euro's
of that 500 is booked on the expenses it belongs to
and 80 is booked on the VAT payable
total of 580 is booked onto the "to be received" account.

Upon paying, even more simple:
Received 580 on the bank account which is deducted fulle from to "to be received" account.

About Dutch typos, no problem, send a message to [email protected] with screenshots so we can find out where the wrong strings are located.
If it were typos it would be easy and no problem. But there are words used which are fully meaningless. A few examples (all from transaction window):

Oorsprong, bestemming, begunstigde/zender - fully incomprehendable what is meant.

Twice there is the word 'koers'.

Belastingen. Okay this is sure the VAT but the words: betaald, verzamelbaar, terugbetaalbaar are really ridiculous. they are (most likely) not even translations from the English version.

If you tell me how to activate the app in English and send me the translation table that is used now I will be able to give you more correct translations.