Won't retain formatting

explorz

No matter what I try, this program will not retain formatting in stylized text.

When I save and close the file, it looks correct with some text centered and other text aligned left.

When I re-open the file, some of the centered text is now aligned left and some of the left aligned text is now centered.

This is a file that I started fresh. No copy and paste from another program.

I have tried everything and no matter what, it WILL NOT retain the alignment formatting.

Right now it is useless as a creator of emails.

explorz

Yes,

Just tried and I get the exact same issue. Looks fine when I save the file. But then I close it and re-open and some formatting remains correct and other formatting switches from center to left and from left to center.

Also, why isn't there a left alignment option up under the formatting menu. There's right and center. Justified is grayed out and there is no option for left. I have to use the formatting icons to get left aligned text.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Left alignment is very first button starting left, then you have center right and justify. Justify is reserved to plain text. Is you document only containing text?

explorz

I know where the alignment buttons are. My question was, why is align left not available in the format drop down menu at the top of the screen. Just curious.

Document contains mainly text. I have two inline attachment photos further down in the email.

Although I have tested without the attachments and have the same issue.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
As MaxBulk mailer handles plain and styled text the menu is called 'Rewrap Text'. This is equivalent to 'align left' for styled text.

About your problem, I have tried to reproduce unsuccessfully. I create a new document, select styled text, write 3 lines. I center first one, justify right second and left justify the third. I save and open back. First line is still centered, second is right justified and third is left justified. Could you try to do the same and tell me about your results?

explorz

I tried this with a new file and it looked fine.

I then did a little editing in the file where I backspaced one centered paragraph until it met up with the previous left aligned paragraph. I then hit the return a few time to drop that paragraph back down to its original position. It was of course then left aligned. So, I recentered it. Saved the file and close it.

When I opened the file again. The paragraph that I had re-centered was left aligned and the above left aligned paragraph was now centered.

So, here's the deal. I can create a document fine. But if I do much editing and moving of text I run into problems where one paragraph is retaining the formatting of the next paragraph and vice versa. Then it all gets mucked up and there is no correcting it or no way to tell what the "real" formatting is for a paragraph. Becasue it looks fine when you save it and work with it. But when you re-open it, it's all messed up.

Can I send you the test file that I just created and is causing issues?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes please, open a support ticket copy the text of your last message and add your sample document as an attachment. I hope we can fix that despite we simply read each line formatting from the operating system edit field. Seems the system is not returning accurate data then.

Drupa99

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out a workaround for the same problem and have given up. I use this program for mass mailings to scientific societies which we manage. Often time, I receive a bulletin from a society member which needs to be broadcast to the broader membership. Often the document comes in as a word .doc. I cut and paste into a mailer window (styled text) and usually the formatting looks as if it has been retained. When I mail to myself as a lone recipient (testmail doesn't always add hyperlinks or option tags properly) there are often lost formatting issues. An email I worked on today took 2 hours to put together. I finally had to explain to the person submitting, that their formatting would not convey. I reworked the document to an acceptable level of quality, but what an effort! The biggest frustration is that you can tinker with the text in the message window until it looks good, but the emailed results don't match up.

One of my specific problems was adding something as follows:

WHEN: October 9-12, 2006
WHERE: Hyatt Regency Monterey
Monterey, California
WHAT: Develop consensus reports on the science
Identify critical gaps in scientific knowledge
Craft a targeted research agenda
Incorporate uncertainty analysis into risk assessment

MaxBulk wants to display the above like this:

WHEN: October 9-12, 2006
WHERE: Hyatt Regency Monterey
Monterey, California
WHAT: Develop consensus reports on the science Identify critical gaps in scientific knowledge
Craft a targeted research agenda
Incorporate uncertainty analysis into risk assessment

No amount of spacing, tinkering with justification, retyping, repasting corrects this improper display.

WHEN I REVIEW THIS MESSAGE BEFORE POSTING, I SEE THAT THIS FORUM IS RECREATING THE ERROR I FIND IN MAXBULK MAILER. THE TOP EXAMPLE SHOULD SHOW THE TEXT COPY AFTER WHEN: WHERE: WHAT: JUSTIFIED ON AN ARBITRARY TAB LINE. INSTEAD, AS YOU SEE, IT CROWDS THE LEFT MARGIN.

explorz said:
No matter what I try, this program will not retain formatting in stylized text.

When I save and close the file, it looks correct with some text centered and other text aligned left.

When I re-open the file, some of the centered text is now aligned left and some of the left aligned text is now centered.

This is a file that I started fresh. No copy and paste from another program.

I have tried everything and no matter what, it WILL NOT retain the alignment formatting.

Right now it is useless as a creator of emails.

explorz

I've had no response from Maxprog since submitting this as a support ticket about three weeks ago.

What I found was that once you connect different paragraphs with different formatting (center, left, justified, etc...) and then you move any of that text around, the new paragraphs now hold the same formatting of the previous or next paragraphs. Sometimes its just part of a paragraph or just one line. Then You re-arrange and reformat and make it look nice. But upon a save, close and re-open. It's all bunged up once again with brand new formatting errors.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
We are still working on that. It looks like it comes from outside the program actually so it is not a problem that can be fixed fast.