Using MLM if my site is on Wix and I do not have mail server. Amazon SES maybe?

Marcelo V

Hi @stanbusk I have a question about MLM. My webpage is created on Wix. My email server in Locaweb (a mail service in Brazil) where I can send and receive email. I just bought Maxbulk Mailer tested sending an email out and it worked fine, but now I'm trying to figure out how to get open statistics and click through and the answer I found on the Support page is to install MLM, but, I can't do that with Wix. They don't allow ftp and I got stuck on the installation.

So, I saw another post talking about using Amazon SES as a mail server (there are others on the list there but for me Amazon seems to have the best pricing).

So. I'm wondering if I can use my email server that I currently have but use Amazon SES to install MLM there. Would that work? Is there a post explaining how that can be done?

If that doesn't work, what should I look for as a service that my current email provider (and domain registration service) may have that could allow me to keep my site in Wix, email where it is and use MLM for the email statistics?

Thank you

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
SES is a mail server actually, MLM has to be installed on a web server. If you don't have FTP to transfer MLM files to your web server then try to use the control panel it probably offers file transfer. You just need to upload the 'lm' folder and then follow the MLM manual, especially the manual installation part labelled Installation Errors - How to install MLM manually. Each time it says to upload with FTP just use your web hosting control panel. I am sure you have also an equivalent to CHMOD as well.

--
Follow maxprog.com on Facebook | Google+ | Linkedin | Twitter | YouTube
and keep up-to-date with the latest Max Programming updates!

Marcelo V

SES is a mail server actually, MLM has to be installed on a web server. If you don't have FTP to transfer MLM files to your web server then try to use the control panel it probably offers file transfer. You just need to upload the 'lm' folder and then follow the MLM manual, especially the manual installation part labelled Installation Errors - How to install MLM manually. Each time it says to upload with FTP just use your web hosting control panel. I am sure you have also an equivalent to CHMOD as well.

--

Thanks. I'll give it a try and see if I can make it work. Thanks!

Marcelo V

@stanbusk Wix does not allow to upload files like that. At least I could not find where. It just allows media files, photos, so you can place them on the web page. Not sure what to do now.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
The 'lm' folder only contains text files and pictures. I guess you should contact your web server administrator and ask. MLM needs PHP and mySQL to work. Maybe you have to upload it to your cgi folder.

--

Marcelo V

@stanbusk I had no success with Wix. It's all prebuild and I can upload files but no folders, it does not allow php neither mysql, so, I can't go that route. Is there another way I can install the MLM? By hiring some other service to put the files and have that information? Or something like that.

Marcelo V

@stanbusk so, my webpage does not necessarily need to be connected in any way to where the objects for MLM will be? They can sit on a separate web server, right? as long as I'm able to setup the php and mysql and use ftp to transfer, correct? I also understood that I can use mysql or not, right?

Thank you

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that's it. mySQL is very highly recommended though. If you have mySQL, please use it! The alternative is for people with no mySQL access, something quite rare nowadays. The alternative is slow and far from being as secure as mySQL.

--

Marcelo V

@stanbusk so, if I hire a web hosting service that has php and mysql, not linked to my website I'll be able to have MLM running and gathering the data? I see godaddy has this option of having ftp, mysql and php. I think I'll hire a month of the service and set it up, but I wanted to check if I need to have my webpage or domain set up on the web hosting service.