unintentional bounce results with Google

jdudley

The eMail Bounce Handler processed a single bounced message and added several legitimate email addresses to my list as "hard bounces."

The original message was sent to multiple people, only one of which was a bad address. The bounced reply "Delivery Status Notification..." included the original message in the body of the email, and included all of the original recipient addresses.

So, the bounce handler added all of the original addresses to my bounce list.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Would switching to something other than "Process: Entire Message" help? I'm not sure if the bounced email address is always included in the header.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen it. This bounce is not a standard DSN (Delivery Status Notification). As a result eMail Bounce Hander has to parse the messages following the rule editor. How did you send the original message? Why is there more that one address in the original message 'To' field?

jdudley

If this had been sent properly, the list of email addresses would have been in the Bcc field rather than the To field. If that had been the case, it looks like the Bcc addresses would not have been included in the "--original message--" body of the bounced email.

In general, is it best to have eMail Bounce Handler parse the full message bodies? Do many bounces include the X-Failed-Recipients: parameter in the header?

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely. The message should have been sent with one single address in 'To' and the others in 'Bcc'. That way, the bounce would be useful. Note that this is also because the server doesn't send standard DSN messages.

The best is to process the whole message. Note again that this only applies to non-standard bounces. With DSNs eMail Bounce Handler simply processes the DSN record. The 'X-Failed-Recipients' is a free to use non standard header (reason why it starts with 'x-'). This again only affects non-standard bounces.