Some bugs and/or inconvenient behaviours

Greenie

Hi all,

I have registered iCash some days ago and am quite pleased with what it does. I use the German version, btw. I hope that everyone understand what I write in here, as English is not my native language. So here are the things I found:

- "return"-key used in the transactions-inputfields puts a transaction up in the list. That works with every field except the amount-field.

- It is possible to make a table-row completely invisible if you make it as small as possible. I'm not sure if this is a feature, but I think it could be a little bit confusing if someone doesn't know this and a table-row seems to be completely gone

- double-clicking a transaction in the queries-tab to make iCash jump to the transactions-tab doesn't seem to work for grouped transactions. iCash changes to transaction-tab, but nothing is visible

- next one is a bit difficult: There are these radiobuttons to "mark" a transaction so it can't be changed anymore (last table-row). I find it quite anoying if I want to change a transaction, forgetting that it is marked and all I get is a message that I can't edit it. So I have to click on this button, turn the mark off, and try to chane the transaction again. It would be much more convenient, if I would get a requester, asking me if I really want to change the transaction instead (would be a bit faster, I think).

- I also find it a little bit confusing that if I change a comment on one of some grouped transactions, this comment is visible when you "close" the transaction-tree. Wouldn't it be better if if would be possible to use a special comment for the whole tree that is visible when it is in closed state?

- Auto-complete doesn't seem to work in the "comment"-field

- definitely a bug: if you chose a transaction with a negative amount, the inputfield shows it as positive and if you click on "change" the value gets inserted as positive amount. Also iCash sometimes does not accept negative values, not sure why or when, happened randomly here.

- not sure if this happens all the time, but: I duplicated a combined transaction and when I changed the new one, the old one got changed too. Same happened the other way round.

- Though I can click on a transaction to edit it, iCash seems to "forget" the day as well as the amount-input if I change to another tab or if I change the month for example. iCash changes to day to some other number instead. And though the amount-field seems to be set to "0" if I start editing the transaction and use the tab-key to move through the fields, the original amount (the one of the transaction I clicked on) shows up again

- The situation: I click on an account in the balance-tab to mark it. then I go to the transactions-tab to change a transaction. Then I go back to the balance-tab to see if the marked account has changed. But as the account changes, it gets deselected. So, if the account doesn't have the right amount and I want change it again (and see the changing on the balance-tab right away), I have to select the account on the balance-tab again to mark it. Would be much better if the account(s) would be selected as long as I deselect it/them.

- Is it possible to add some kind of protection if the actual amount of an account- changes? I don't know if this is useful for anyone else and/or how it could be implemented, but the problem I think of is as follows: I added a lot of data when I registered iCash and sometimes added transactions, maybe because I didn't set the right comment. But what if I accidentally (or in case of a "lost" negative amount as seen above) change the amount. If I don't notice that right away I will probably never find the problematic amount again a few days later.

So, that's all, hope I didn't overstrain anyone in here :)

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
- "return"-key used in the transactions-inputfields puts a transaction up in the list. That works with every field except the amount-field.

Ok. It has been fixed for next 3.1.2

- It is possible to make a table-row completely invisible if you make it as small as possible. I'm not sure if this is a feature, but I think it could be a little bit confusing if someone doesn't know this and a table-row seems to be completely gone

Not sure I understand that one, maybe you mean columns?

- double-clicking a transaction in the queries-tab to make iCash jump to the transactions-tab doesn't seem to work for grouped transactions. iCash changes to transaction-tab, but nothing is visible

Weird, just work fine for me with current 3.1.1
It would help if you can send a file to [email protected]
so I can try to reproduce.

- next one is a bit difficult: There are these radiobuttons to "mark" a transaction so it can't be changed anymore (last table-row). I find it quite anoying if I want to change a transaction, forgetting that it is marked and all I get is a message that I can't edit it. So I have to click on this button, turn the mark off, and try to chane the transaction again. It would be much more convenient, if I would get a requester, asking me if I really want to change the transaction instead (would be a bit faster, I think).

Yes, I will see what we can do here. Your solution seems correct.

- I also find it a little bit confusing that if I change a comment on one of some grouped transactions, this comment is visible when you "close" the transaction-tree. Wouldn't it be better if if would be possible to use a special comment for the whole tree that is visible when it is in closed state?

You can change it. Double-click the group, you will be displayed a window to change that comment.

- Auto-complete doesn't seem to work in the "comment"-field

Well, actually the very last similar transaction is taken into account to auto-complete the comment field. I have made a little change so now iCash will look at previous transactions in case it doesn't find a comment.

- definitely a bug: if you chose a transaction with a negative amount, the inputfield shows it as positive and if you click on "change" the value gets inserted as positive amount. Also iCash sometimes does not accept negative values, not sure why or when, happened randomly here.

iCash *never* accept negative values, all transactions are positive. Values are showed as negative depending on their kind. If you have a problem it is a display problem so I need to know what kind of account you are using on that transaction.

- not sure if this happens all the time, but: I duplicated a combined transaction and when I changed the new one, the old one got changed too. Same happened the other way round.

I can't reproduce, duplication of a group create new transactions when transfer just change dates. What data of the transaction is changing on both groups?

- Though I can click on a transaction to edit it, iCash seems to "forget" the day as well as the amount-input if I change to another tab or if I change the month for example. iCash changes to day to some other number instead. And though the amount-field seems to be set to "0" if I start editing the transaction and use the tab-key to move through the fields, the original amount (the one of the transaction I clicked on) shows up again

Yes, will look at this. Actually iCash reload the transaction list.

- The situation: I click on an account in the balance-tab to mark it. then I go to the transactions-tab to change a transaction. Then I go back to the balance-tab to see if the marked account has changed. But as the account changes, it gets deselected. So, if the account doesn't have the right amount and I want change it again (and see the changing on the balance-tab right away), I have to select the account on the balance-tab again to mark it. Would be much better if the account(s) would be selected as long as I deselect it/them.

Same problem as before, the contents are reloaded. I will look at this.

- Is it possible to add some kind of protection if the actual amount of an account- changes? I don't know if this is useful for anyone else and/or how it could be implemented, but the problem I think of is as follows: I added a lot of data when I registered iCash and sometimes added transactions, maybe because I didn't set the right comment. But what if I accidentally (or in case of a "lost" negative amount as seen above) change the amount. If I don't notice that right away I will probably never find the problematic amount again a few days later.

Please send a detailed feature request to [email protected]

So, that's all, hope I didn't overstrain anyone in here :)

Thanks for your report.

Greenie

Quote:

Not sure I understand that one, maybe you mean columns?

Yep, sorry, somehow I always confuse the english words for rows and colums :)

Quote:

Weird, just work fine for me with current 3.1.1

Just tried it in a testfile and it worked. Will have a look at my personal datafile and see if that happens only with certain grouped transactions

Thanks for the tip how to change the comment of grouped transactions

I will further investigate the behaviour related to negative values. Maybe I just misunderstood how iCash works.

Quote:

I can't reproduce, duplication of a group create new transactions when transfer just change dates. What data of the transaction is changing on both groups?

Oh sorry, what I meant was that the amount changed on both transactions when I duplicated it. But that doesn't seem to happen in a testfile, too. Will have to look for that problem in my original file, too.

Thanks for your detailed reply