Sierra upgrade

bpringle

Have upgraded today to iCash 7.5.9 and to Sierra. When I double click on iCash file icons to open them, all I get is a page of gobbledegook text. When I right click on file icon to open, the only app choice I get is Textedit, no iCash. Can now only open files from iCash Files Manager, and cannot have file icons in Dock as they only produce the gobbledegook text. iCash, when opened from Files Manager, is storing updated files somewhere, apparently in iCash format, but where? Spotlight shows the files in my 'Files' folder, but these documents are only in Textedit format.
Mystified. Need the files to be in iCash format.

bpringle

I have found the backup files in the Application support library, and also in the XML Dumps, and these too are not formatted in the iCash format. When I try to open them I get the same indecipherable text. iCash is accepting changes to files opened through Files Manager, and storing the updated files, but not in iCash format.

bpringle

Thanks, Stan. Yes, I've tried that. Get Info offers me only TextEdit as an available app. Under 'Other' on the 'Open with' pull down menu, the iCash folder is offered as a choice, but when I open that folder the iCash app icon is greyed out and is not available. In summary, I cannot open files directly with iCash, though I can open them through the Files Manager, and the updated information is being stored correctly.

bpringle

Thanks again, Stan. All files have .icash extension. As a matter of interest, when I go to Get Info, and click Hide Extension to see if this operates, it has no effect, but yes, all files show correct extension.

bpringle

Thanks, Stan.

I followed the link in your suggestion. The suggestions for rebuilding the Launch Services file on the Google page relate to older versions of OSX, and were dated 2014. They suggested locating and deleting the following: com.apple.LaunchServices.plist, but in my preferences folder on Sierra this file does not exist. When I search for LaunchServices in Spotlight, I get no result and also this information:

"This error indicates that there was a problem with installation. Unfortunately, Xcode does not actually print the contents of the error message that would give you more insight, but you can look at ~/Library/Logs/CoreSimulator/CoreSimulator.log to see the rest of the error details. There will also be more information about the problem in the simulated device's system log (~/Library/Logs/CoreSimulator/[Device UDID]/system.log); look for messages from installd around the time of the error).

Common causes for this include bundles missing an Info.plist, missing keys within your bundle's Info.plist, or values for some keys in the Info.plist not being allowed.

If your app's Info.plist does not contain a valid CFBundleVersion key/value pair, it is possible that your app may install correctly the first time but fail to update. Many users seem to work around this by doing a "Reset Contents & Settings" after each install, but it would be better to fix the root cause by setting an appropriate CFBundleVersion in the Info.plist. I believe iOS 8.2 now correctly returns an error on the first install in this case rather than just on updates, so hopefully this problem will be more obvious now."

None of this means much to me, but it is possible that in Sierra the LaunchServices .plist has been superseded by something else.

BRIAN

bpringle

Thanks, Stan, have downloaded pre-release and issue has been fixed, files now open from icon. Brilliant! Really appreciate your personal attention to this fairly trivial issue, but I use iCash many times daily and I know you would like to have it as complete as possible. It's a great app, and I've tried all the rest! Brian