rules in window vs rules in preference pane

fabprog

What the difference between editing rules in the main window and editing rules in Preference pane?
What are preference pane's rules at?
Also:
what's the meaning of "verify all" (top left) and "ignore all" (top right) flags?

I need to scan bounces for just ONE specific error text returned by given smtp server.
I created a proper rule and deleted all other rules in main window, then started scanning but even the rules listed in the Preference pane seem to be processed (since I deleted all existing rules in main window), retrieving other kinds of email bounces as well.
I find it all a bit messy and I was not able to understand how rule management works in general. Please help..

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
The rules on the document are for that document only. The rules in the preferences are for all documents, all new documents will have that set of rules. Where have you seen '"verify all" (top left) and "ignore all" (top right) flags?' options?

About your last question, only the rules in the document are used HOWEVER all DSNs will be processed! A DSN is a standard for bounces.

fabprog

Where have you seen '"verify all" (top left) and "ignore all" (top right) flags?'

In the "rules" tab of the main window, just above the rules list; my installation is in Italian...however, meaning of the top left flag is straightforward (sorry my fault...may be I was a bit confused after some trial...) and I think it was "check all" in English, just for checking/unchecking all rules at once. (italian translation is correct). So never mind.

1) About top right flag "ignora tutte le regole" I think it was "ignore all rules" in English but I wasn't able to understand what it does exactly. Isn't it the same as deselecting all rules by the left switch?! What the difference?

2) (just to be sure I understood...) so the rule's pref pane just specifies the default set of rules which are being copied into any new empty document: that's all.

Back to my main problem, I'd like to discriminate for a specific text in the error message, collecting ONLY return messages having that (custom) specific text in their body. I can add a custom rule for this, but is there a way to later select ONLY those messages if all standard DSN error messages are ALWAYS retrieved as well?

I can export results to a csv file then analyze it by selecting only the records with given "return reason", but would my custom rule's records be listed with some specific error text?
That is, what's the error text that will be reported for my custom rule(s)? (since there is no field to enter reported error text when adding new rules)

Export example (sorry, output was in Italian, but meaning should be straightforward...)
Tipo di rifiuto Indirizzo E-Mail Motivazione del rifiuto Data Totale
Rifiuto 'Soft' [email protected] Indirizzo sconosciuto 01/10/13 1

I'd like having a custom "Motivazione del rifiuto" text for my custom rule. That would be great.

stanbusk

Administrator
Staff member
1) About top right flag "ignora tutte le regole" I think it was "ignore all rules" in English but I wasn't able to understand what it does exactly. Isn't it the same as deselecting all rules by the left switch?! What the difference?
Yes, it is for rules selection.
2) (just to be sure I understood...) so the rule's pref pane just specifies the default set of rules which are being copied into any new empty document: that's all.
Yes!
Back to my main problem, I'd like to discriminate for a specific text in the error message, collecting ONLY return messages having that (custom) specific text in their body. I can add a custom rule for this, but is there a way to later select ONLY those messages if all standard DSN error messages are ALWAYS retrieved as well?
DSNs will always be processed. The software is a bounce handler so standard bounces are always processed. Rules are there to process non-standard bounces.

I can export results to a csv file then analyze it by selecting only the records with given "return reason", but would my custom rule's records be listed with some specific error text?
That is, what's the error text that will be reported for my custom rule(s)? (since there is no field to enter reported error text when adding new rules)

Export example (sorry, output was in Italian, but meaning should be straightforward...)
Tipo di rifiuto Indirizzo E-Mail Motivazione del rifiuto Data Totale
Rifiuto 'Soft' [email protected] Indirizzo sconosciuto 01/10/13 1

I'd like having a custom "Motivazione del rifiuto" text for my custom rule. That would be great.
A bounce always include the error code, including the non-standard ones. eMail Bounce Handler will use that code to display the proper error message.